Love combining digital skills with creative storytelling? A Digital Media degree aims to provides you with a foundation of creative and technical skills that will help prepare you for a potential future career in immersive media, interactive film, digital marketing and much more.
Preparing you for a career in the fast-paced digital media, design and communications industries, this course will allow you to work on multiple live projects, exploring a range of multimedia forms, practices and platforms to create imaginative, cutting-edge content.
You’ll have access to our extensive specialist resources, including video and photography studios, industry-standard software suites, radio studios, specialist IT facilities and our dedicated ‘digital media lab’ (subject to availability). As a part of this course we provide you with your own Media Technology Pack.
Why Coventry University?
An award-winning university, we are committed to providing our students with the best possible experience. We continue to invest in both our facilities and our innovative approach to education. Our students benefit from industry-relevant teaching, and resources and support designed to help them succeed. These range from our modern library and computing facilities to dedicated careers advice and our impressive Students’ Union activities.
Merging the creative and the technical, the Digital Media BA course will help you to develop skills and practices suited to a range of fields including the Internet of Things (IoT), immersive technologies such as augmented and virtual reality (AR/VR), and web, mobile and games app development.
The Digital Media BA course is different from a traditional programming or computer science course as its focus is primarily on creative production in the field of media using digital tools in 3D modelling, application development, immersive technologies, and audio and video production among others.
You will engage in practical hack labs, where you will work through the entire iteration process for digital projects such as reinventing classic arcade games or deploying mobile applications to a client brief. Using the principles of Agile software development, this will enable you to develop your project management and user testing knowledge and skills.
The course focuses on laying a flexible foundation of skills which will prepare you for a changing digital and technological landscape. On successful graduation, you can seek out roles in digital marketing and advertising, IoT development, UI/UX design and testing, web and mobile app development and, increasingly, in augmented reality/virtual reality development.
Why choose this course?
On this course, you’ll be taught by staff with expertise in immersive technologies and 360 video, music and digital composition and sound recording, user interface design and digital culture.
This course has five unique features:
- Explores a mix of creative and technical skills and knowledge development through a range of modules that will take students through the entire software development workflow from concept to user testing. In particular our creative hack lab modules offer the opportunity to tackle a project from concept to user testing during a one-week intensive course.
- On this course our students are issued with a media technology pack – currently a MacBook – to be used in line with the 24/7 mobile learning scheme, and pre-loaded with a suite of industry-standard software including Adobe Creative Suite (terms and conditions apply).
- Access to high standard professional media equipment via our Media Loan Shop, with equipment ranging from the most basic audio recorders, to a highly professional camera line up (all subject to availability), with our technicians who could support you and give advice and instructions for ease of use.
- Hear from expert guest speakers from the creative industries, including artists, performers, media producers, photographers and journalists who will look to share their experiences of recording and publishing their work.
- Past staff and students have a strong track record of collaborative applied projects with organisations including Genesys, Jaguar Land Rover, Coventry Telegraph, Rolls-Royce, BBC Big Screens and BT.