A strong Economics and Business degree can lead you to many different careers, from investment banking and management consultancy to politics and management roles within international organisations.
The BSc Economics and Business degree at Swansea University has an excellent reputation for producing high performing graduates. A number of them have progressed to work for the world’s biggest brands such as Barclays, HSBC and PwC, and the world’s most respected institutions, including a number of government bodies.
Combining core elements of economics and business, this degree is ideal if you want a career in politics, policy, business or finance.
It gives a solid theoretical and practical understanding of economic principles in relation to business environments, as well as the analytical techniques employed in business decision-making and strategy.
By the end of the course you will be able to confidently apply knowledge, investigative and model-building skills to advise different types of organisations. From private businesses to the government, you can have a tangible impact on economic policy.
WHY ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS AT SWANSEA?
- Economics is ranked 8th in the UK for Course Satisfaction (Guardian University Guide 2021)
- Economics is ranked in the UK Top 10 for Student Voice (National Student Survey 2021)
- Economics is ranked in the UK Top 20 for Teaching Quality (Times Good University Guide 2021)
- Tailor your course to suit your interests and career goals – choose from a huge selection of optional modules
- Get real-world know-how from our world-leading lecturers with unrivalled experience in both industry and academia.
- A diverse student body from over 60 different countries
- Based in the £22 million School of Management building on the Bay campus
YOUR ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS EXPERIENCE
Economics and Business at Swansea is a versatile degree offering the the chance to study abroad for a year, or work in industry for a year. These personally enriching opportunities can enhance your skill-set, develop your perspective and broaden your horizons when it comes to finding employment.
This degree gives you a robust understanding of modern economic principles and contemporary issues.
Early teaching delivers a comprehensive base of knowledge encompassing micro and macro economics, statistics, finance, accounting and methodology.
In later years you have greater module choice covering specialist areas of business, politics, economic development and mathematics.
Teaching at Swansea is partly informed by research and our staff have hands-on experience of theory and practice, meaning you can benefit from their academic expertise and real-world know-how.
During your time with us, you will also have full access to our cutting edge video and digital content creation suite and state-of-the-art facilities at the School of Management.
Hear from Jacob, as he gives insight into the modules studied in the first year of Economics at Swansea:
ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Economics and Business graduates from Swansea are poised for financially rewarding and mentally challenging employment opportunities.
Whether you target the pressured energy of a trading floor or the credibility of becoming an authority on business trends, this degree will make you a strong candidate for any graduate employer. Your future job title could be any of the following:
- Analyst, Researcher
- Government Adviser
- Management Consultant
- Derivatives Trader
- Financial Analyst
Careers and Employability
Swansea Employability Academy (SEA) will support you at each stage of your career journey helping you build a bright future.
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics
- Advice and guidance on postgraduate study and funding
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.
The School of Management also has a dedicated in-house Employability team offering additional support.
During your time with us, you’ll have the chance to:
- Join our Employability Mentoring scheme and get mentored by an employer who can help you with the transition from student to working professional
- Get the opportunity to speak to our growing Alumni Community
- Work and network with employers from a range of national and multi-national companies through our seminars and events
- Boost your skills and meet employers during our Employability Module, which is run twice a year
- Get supported in opportunities to work a year in industry or to study abroad.
- Take advantage of unlimited 1-2-1 support to develop your career experience
- Stay in touch for support for five years after you graduate