An Economics and Finance degree can lead to a genuine variety of careers, from investment banking and management consultancy to senior finance roles within international organisations.
The BSc Economics and Finance degree at Swansea University has an excellent reputation. It has produced high performing graduates who have been hired by the world’s biggest brands such as Barclays, HSBC and PwC, and the world’s most respected organisations, including major financial institutions and government bodies.
Blending core elements of economics and finance, this degree provides a comprehensive understanding of modern economics and its application within the financial industry.
The chance to concentrate on specialist areas such as corporate finance will develop your appreciation of the relationship between economic analysis and financial operations.
Over the course of your studies, consistently observing how theory impacts practice will enhance your strategic decision-making abilities.
By the time you graduate, you will be confident in the application of your knowledge, investigative and model-building skills to effectively advise different types of organisations.
WHY ECONOMICS AND FINANCE AT SWANSEA?
- Economics is ranked 8th in the UK for Course Satisfaction (Guardian University Guide 2021)
- Economics is ranked in the UK Top 10 for Student Voice (National Student Survey 2021)
- Economics is ranked in the UK Top 20 for Teaching Quality (Times Good University Guide 2021)
- Tailor your course to suit your interests and career goals – choose from a huge selection of optional modules
- Get real-world know-how from our world-leading lecturers with unrivalled experience in both industry and academia.
- A diverse student body from over 60 different countries
- Based in the £22 million School of Management building on the Bay campus
YOUR ECONOMICS AND FINANCE EXPERIENCE
Economics and Finance at Swansea is a versatile degree offering the chance to study abroad for a year, or work in industry for a year. These personally enriching opportunities can shape your skill-set, widen your perspective and broaden your horizons when it comes to finding employment.
This degree gives you a robust understanding of modern economic principles and contemporary issues.
Early teaching delivers a comprehensive base of knowledge encompassing micro and macro economics, statistics, finance, accounting and methodology.
In later years you have greater module choice covering specialist areas of finance, politics, economic development and mathematics.
Teaching at Swansea is partly informed by research and our staff have hands-on experience of theory and practice, meaning you can benefit from their academic expertise and real-world know-how.
During your time with us, you will also have full access to our cutting edge video and digital content creation suite and state-of-the-art facilities at the School of Management.
As well as setting you up for a career as an economic and finance specialist within an organisation, we also have support services available to help you start your own business. This service offers a mentoring route, using a wealth of industry experience.
Hear from Jacob, as he gives insight into the modules studied in the first year of Economics at Swansea:
ECONOMICS AND FINANCE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Economics and Finance graduates from Swansea are poised for financially rewarding and mentally rigorous employment opportunities.
Whether you target the pressured energy of a trading floor or the credibility of becoming an authority on finance trends, this degree will make you a strong candidate for any graduate employer. Your future job title could be any of the following:
- Analyst, Researcher
- Government Adviser
- Management Consultant
- Derivatives Trader
- Financial Analyst
Careers and Employability
Swansea Employability Academy (SEA) will support you at each stage of your career journey helping you build a bright future.
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics
- Advice and guidance on postgraduate study and funding
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.
The School of Management also has a dedicated in-house Employability team offering additional support.
During your time with us, you’ll have the chance to:
- Join our Employability Mentoring scheme and get mentored by an employer who can help you with the transition from student to working professional
- Get the opportunity to speak to our growing Alumni Community
- Work and network with employers from a range of national and multi-national companies through our seminars and events
- Boost your skills and meet employers during our Employability Module, which is run twice a year
- Get supported in opportunities to work a year in industry or to study abroad.
- Take advantage of unlimited 1-2-1 support to develop your career experience
- Stay in touch for support for five years after you graduate