The MSc International Business seeks to meet the buoyant labour market demand for more postgraduates in the field. This programme is distinctive in the way it presents the multidisciplinary context of international business and promotes a connection with cognate fields such as management, business, economics and organisation studies.
Compulsory modules provide core training in principles of international business and management and research methods, and a range of option modules allow you to focus on specific areas according to your personal interests or career requirements, including economics and finance, marketing, employment relations and human resource management, business ethics, globalisation and development. You may further tailor the programme to your needs by writing a dissertation on a topic that particularly interests you, using research-based skills which are emphasised throughout the programme.
On completing the programme you will have the knowledge, skills and competencies to analyse critical issues in international business with qualitative and quantitative methods, and to design and implement international business strategy and policy development. This Master’s degree is particularly relevant if you are, or would like to be, a manager with responsibility for international business and policy affairs in a private or public sector organisation.
- Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management.
- Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world’s leading journals. We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sports management, and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
- Birkbeck’s Strategy and International Business Research Group supports the programme as a centre for research, training and policy advice on foreign direct investment and knowledge diffusion, globalisation of innovative activities, comparative business systems and management, international human resource management and international business strategy. The research group organises seminars and publishes major books and academic papers in the world’s leading journals within its field of interest.
- We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- Academic tutorial support and guidance systems are in place in the Department to ensure your academic and personal development. The School also has a dedicated learning coordinator, who will support you in your studies and offer help and advice on a wide range of study skills.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available, as well as the Birkbeck Library and e-Library.
Careers and employability
Graduates can pursue careers in business or management in a domestic or international context or in any functional area (accounting, finance, marketing or human resources management) in the public or private sector. Possible professions include management consultant, accounting or finance executive, corporate investment banker, human resource officer, or marketing executive. This degree can also be useful in working for a multinational company as a logistics and distribution officer or a systems analyst.
We offer a comprehensive Careers Service to help you advance your career, while our in-house, professional recruitment consultancy, Birkbeck Talent, works with London’s top employers to help you gain work experience that fits in with your evening studies.