Immersive and Virtual Media MA aims to develop the creative, critical and technical skills required for practitioners to develop, craft, perform, co-create and share immersive arts experiences.
You will gain practical experience, creating and sharing immersive works across a broad range of mixed-reality technologies, including Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). The course takes a broad interdisciplinary interpretation of what we mean by immersive practices, including performance capture and networked performance, spatial and volumetric filmmaking, installation, projection and site-specific working, immersive sound design and music composition, animation, play and games design.
Why Coventry University?
An award-winning university, we are committed to providing our students with the best possible experience. We continue to invest in both our facilities and our innovative approach to education. Our students benefit from industry-relevant teaching, and resources and support designed to help them succeed. These range from our modern library and computing facilities to dedicated careers advice and our impressive Students’ Union activities.
The MA Immersive and Virtual Media course has been designed to prepare you for working at the forefront of the rapidly evolving, emergent immersive creative industries. You will build upon your prior experience and/or learning in creative practice. Plus, you will consider how technical and non-technical means of immersive practice might enable you to create work that encourages more emotionally rich practices of participation, adopts increasingly dynamic and interactive modes of storytelling, and traverses a progressively hybrid post-digital range of creative forms.
The course will explore the use of a range of immersive techniques and technologies in contemporary creative practice including but not limited to:
- Headset Technologies: Virtual Reality (VR) / Augmented Reality (AR) / Mixed Reality (MR) .
- Narrative Forms: Interactive Storytelling / Hypertext / Choose your own adventure
- Play: Role Playing Games / Escape Rooms / Street Games
- Performance: Immersive Theatre / Performance Capture / Digital Dance
- Leisure: Theme parks / Outdoor and “Secret” Cinema / Heritage Settings
- Sonic experiences: Multichannel Audio / ASMR / Spatial Composition
- Site-responsive Working: Projection Mapping / Real-time Mobile Technologies / 5G and IoT