Our MSc Sport Management is designed to give you the skills and expertise you need to compete in the sport industry and related businesses and organisations, by combining specialist teaching about the principles and practice of sport management with general training in management, business organisation, strategy and research methods.
It covers several key areas, such as governance and regulatory issues, with emphasis on the wider sport sector. It will help you to develop a deeper understanding of management, governance and regulatory issues within the business of sport.
The programme is ideally suited to the needs of executives within a variety of sport organisations, such as professional sport clubs, governing bodies, media organisations and sport-related businesses. It is also ideal for members of supporters’ organisations, local government officials with responsibilities in the leisure field, and people with a general interest in the sport and media industries.
- Visiting speakers include experts from sport businesses, the legal profession, football clubs and football regulatory authorities.
- The Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy.
- Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world’s leading journals.
- Linked to Birkbeck’s Sport Business Centre, one of the world’s leading centres for sport business and football research, teaching, training, consultancy and policy advice.
- We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- The Birkbeck Women in Sport Scholarship is offered to an excellent and deserving female student.
Careers and employability
Graduates can pursue careers in sports administration for sport governing bodies, professional sport clubs such as football clubs, as consultants and/or business and marketing managers in the sport sector, and for public bodies involved in the administration of sport policy. See our sport jobs bulletin for details of current vacancies.
We offer a comprehensive Careers Service to help you advance your career, while our in-house, professional recruitment consultancy, Birkbeck Talent, works with London’s top employers to help you gain work experience that fits in with your evening studies.