This course offers you a unique opportunity to combine study of education with English language content – leading to a Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) qualification and giving you access to significant graduate opportunities for a rewarding and fulfilling career either in the UK or overseas.
You’ll gain a deep understanding of the sociology, psychology and philosophy which underpin current educational thinking and practice, combined with specialist skills in teaching the English language. The TEFLi qualification is recognised by the British Council Accreditation Scheme and will open up to you a world of graduate opportunities.
With this qualification you could follow a dream to travel and work overseas (there is a potential for an overseas placement if you choose the Professional Placement Year option), embark on a teaching career by proceeding to further study with a Primary or Secondary QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) course, or explore education support roles in schools or with EAL (English as an Additional Language) education for adults or children.
Successful completion of this course provides you with a qualification which could take you almost anywhere in the world. It opens avenues to of teaching careers working with children or adults either in the UK or overseas – with skills highly valued by a range of employers.
Choose BA (Hons) Education and TEFL and:
- Learn a combination of practical skills and theory, through a combination of study, practice and real-life experience, giving you a valuable grounding for your future career, whether or not you ultimately choose to teach.
- Study detailed English language and linguistics alongside the latest education theory and practice.
- Develop your understanding of how English works, how it is used and how it is learnt as well as building your skills in lesson planning, materials development and class management.
- Gain the British Council accredited TEFLi qualification, much sought after by employers, and giving you access to a huge choice of rewarding career opportunities in teaching and other areas.
- Explore and expand your global outlook and opportunities to travel and work overseas.
- Challenge yourself to continue your study at a higher level by carrying on to PGCE or QTS study.
Benefit from studying at a university highly-regarded for its quality teaching and world-leading research in applied linguistics and TEFL, with an excellent record of student satisfaction.