The English Language and Teaching English as a Foreign Language BA (Hons) degree combines language description, theory, practice and real-life experience – an ideal grounding for most graduate futures, whether you choose a teaching career or not.
English Language Teaching is a £2.5b global industry that offers rewarding and fulfilling careers at home and abroad. This degree explores how English works, how it is used and how it is learnt, gradually becoming more in-depth and focused. Lesson planning, materials development and class management develop communication and teaching skills, culminating in supervised teaching practice.
Many graduates become teachers; others use their analytical and communication skills to follow other careers. As this degree incorporates a professional TEFL qualification, successful graduates can immediately apply for TEFL posts at home and abroad.
If a primary or secondary teaching career beckons, your training and experience is directly relevant, giving you significant advantages in the competitive PGCE application process.
English Language and TEFL at Bedfordshire has an excellent track record of student satisfaction (100% in the 2016 NSS), high-quality teaching and world-leading research in the subject. Experienced, approachable academics guide you with their expertise in Applied Linguistics and TEFL.
Together these have contributed to Bedfordshire being ranked 7th nationally for Linguistics (Complete University Guide, 2017).
- Learn about the structure of the English language, patterns of natural speech, communication of meaning, teacher and student motivation and how to develop effective TEFL materials
- Study for a degree that also trains you to be a TEFL teacher and join graduates who are teaching in more than 20 countries worldwide
- Develop your communication and presentation skills in preparation for a career in teaching, ELT and many other professional environments
- Gain essential classroom experience in preparation for a career and/or PGCE study
- Benefit from a degree that also trains you as a TEFL teacher, and gives you access to opportunities for careers in English language teaching or prepares you to study for a PGCE
- Benefit from the world-leading research being produced by CRELLA