As a games artist, you can work in one of the largest and agile creative industries in the world.
- You have the opportunity to develop games art skills such as storytelling, narrative, sociology, spatial design, architecture to anatomy, and character/environment design.
- We teach you about industry practices in a simulated games studio environment, so you can gain a solid grounding in visualisation techniques, character, environment and concept design.
- This exciting course is developed in conjunction with games industry employers like Radiant Worlds and shows you the skillset you need to be a successful games artist.
Why you should study this course
The aim of this course is to develop your understanding of coders’ and game developers’ needs, while addressing the visual needs of games development. This course offers you opportunities to work with animators and illustrators to develop your core skills in drawing, perspective and concept development. You will also be taught the trends and technical developments within the games industry.
When you have successfully completed this course, you should be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of:
- The representation of human and animal form, anatomy and motion, natural environments, architecture and artefacts.
- The aesthetics of photography, film and narrative animation and your impact upon games art KU3.
- The communicative and immersive role of design for user interfaces.
- A broad range of image manipulation technologies including 2D and 3D design and rendering applications.
- Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality using HTC Vive/Oculus Rift, Game Engines such as Unreal Engine and Unity.
- Technical requirements of art assets produced for integration into programmed elements of games.
- Working processes and cross-disciplinary roles in the games and related industries.
- Ethical dimensions relevant to the representation of interpersonal and social interactions.
- During your course of study, you may be invited to take part in regular study trips to exhibitions and events (availability and additional costs may apply).
Why choose this course?
Building on our expertise in animation, graphic design, illustration and games computing, this course offers opportunities to work with animators and illustrators to develop core skills in drawing, perspective and concept development, while learning about the trends and technical developments within the games industry.
You will be taught by industry professionals from the worlds of games, animation and design, who will not only help you to stretch your classical observation, drawing and creative skills, but also develop the technical and professional skills needed to negotiate the world of creative professional practice.
With an emphasis on ideas generation and concept development, we will encourage you to immerse yourself in the realms of world generation and character design, mastering traditional drawing techniques and use of the latest software, ready to make your mark in one of the largest and fastest growing creative industries. We aim to equip you with a thorough understanding of games production processes and the specialist technical, as well as creative skills employers demand.
During your studies, you should develop your own signature style to showcase within a games art portfolio, including designs created for environments, characters, vehicles and props.
You’ll have the opportunity to work alongside computing students, gaining an appreciation of their complementary skillsets and the ability to establish a cooperative culture. The Collaborative Practice module is specifically designed to help students on the BA Games Art to understand the language and expectations of coders and to mirror the technical and creative relationships that exist within the industry.
International experience opportunities
Our teaching is underpinned by a worldview of contemporary art; this is reflected strongly in the course curriculum. You will also study alongside students and staff from many different countries, enhancing your global perspective and intercultural competence. You can also undertake a sandwich year of study or work abroad.
We have exchange agreements with Accademia di Belle Arti Bolongna, Universidad Europea de Madrid and Hanzehogeschool Groningen.
The video/computer games industry has become a dynamic and growing contributor to the UK’s creative economy – in 2014, there were almost 2,000 video games companies located in the UK alone and almost nine in ten of these companies began operations in the 2000s or the 2010s*.
This course models itself on the professional expectations of industry, with a strong emphasis on time management, good communication and self-sufficiency. Professional practice is embedded into the learning experience; we will help you prepare for the rigours of the professional world by simulating the challenges that you will face as a practitioner, developing independent thought, innovation, imagination, critical reflection and confidence in your practice, as well as transferrable skills suitable for employment across the full breadth of the creative industries.
Our Creative Futures employment team is on hand to offer tailored career and enterprise support if you wish to gain employment or take advantage of professional practice opportunities within course specific industries. It provides a programme of workshops, embedded learning, lectures, professional experience and one-to-one guidance to help you develop the transferable skills and enterprising habits required for a successful career. Our dedicated enterprise officers also offer valuable assistance on how to begin as a freelancer/entrepreneur.
Coventry University is committed to preparing you for your future career and giving you a competitive edge in the graduate job market. The University’s Careers and Employability team provide a wide range of support services to help you plan and prepare for your career.
Zobacz więcej na stronie uniwersytetu >>
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>