This course is specifically designed for graduates and professionals involved internationally in the oil and gas industry. This includes lawyers, as well as geologists seeking out new oil and gas sites, engineers planning the drills, and those responsible for drawing up contracts, who all need to know the legal technicalities affecting their industry. The course offers a unique opportunity to rapidly increase your understanding of the legal technicalities affecting your industry and to improve your techniques and skills in drafting a variety of international contracts.
Why choose this course?
- Study the practical aspect of international oil and gas law and examine contractual framework relevant to upstream and downstream activities, international commercial arbitration and litigation.
- Develop the skills, knowledge and understanding needed to significantly enhance your effectiveness as an adviser or decision-maker in the oil and gas industry through developing expert knowledge of the legal principles and processes at the cutting edge of oil and gas law practice.
- Gain an advantage in the job market by developing the confidence to operate in an international context and enhance your capability to analyse, negotiate and solve problems strategically.
- Benefit from the University’s close proximity to London, home to headquarters of many oil and gas companies, and the chance to gain real work experience in your final project.
- Explore the complex legal relationships that define the sector as you apply your legal knowledge into practical activities drawn from real-world problems.
Throughout the LLM, the focus will be on the identification, analysis, evaluation and application of the legal principles relevant to oil and gas law in a commercial environment. The four taught units contribute differently to developing your employability. For example, International Oil and Gas Contracts (Upstream) unit will enhance your understanding of the regulations and practices governing the contractual aspects of oil and gas industry and it will equip you with how to effectively negotiate in concert with counsel and how to get the terms negotiated incorporated into an enforceable international oil and gas agreement. A key aspect to this will be enhancing your ability to negotiate profitably with international companies and governments in order to enforce agreements that contain terms and conditions most productive for their company or organisation.