This course offers an advanced level professional qualification for practising and aspiring teachers of English and has been designed for both native and non-native English speakers. Students have the opportunity to carry out a major piece of individual research on a topic of special interest.
Why choose this course?
- Study a distinctive course with assessed teaching practice enabling you, with the relevant teaching experience, to gain British Council ‘TEFL Q’ (qualified) status and its associated career advantages
- Explore practical issues relevant to your own professional working environment with an optional Professional Practice unit, which could involve opportunities to gain teaching experience abroad
- Develop your understanding of how language systems can be taught, as well as theories of language teaching such as language acquisition and intercultural communication
- Gain from access to the expertise of CRELLA, our world-renowned Centre for Research in English Language Learning and Assessment; nationally and internationally recognised as a leading UK-based centre for research into language learning and assessment
- Benefit from a course which gives you access to a range of careers in universities, colleges, and language schools in many countries; in ELT development and publishing; or further study at PhD level.
This MA in Applied Linguistics (TEFL) caters for those who want to develop their experience and research in a number of areas related to Applied Linguistics, particularly as it is specifically designed for those who are planning to become English Language teachers, those who wish to develop their knowledge and experience in L2 Materials Development and those who are looking to develop a critical insight into language assessment and testing.
This course is one of the few courses in the Higher Education market for masters in ‚ELT and Applied Linguistics’ (English Language Teaching) as it allows experienced teachers to gain professional accreditation following British Council recommendations for TEFL qualifications in relation to gaining TEFL recognition (TEFLQ status to those who have a minimum of two years of teaching experience prior to the above mentioned teaching practice unit).