Building surveyors are advisors for the property and construction industry, identifying defects and suggesting options for maintenance and repair. Core aspects of the role include the development of new buildings, alongside the refurbishment and restoration of existing properties. This course is designed for students looking to pursue a career in the building surveying and construction sectors, and develops the skills needed to pursue Chartered Surveyor, or Chartered Building Engineer status.
Who is this course designed for?
This course is aimed at professionals and graduates wishing to pursue a career in the property and construction industry, on route to Chartered Surveyor or Chartered Building Engineer status. It’s suitable for prospective students who don’t necessarily have a background in property or construction, acting as a fast-track conversion course for those with an unrelated undergraduate degree (or professional qualification) to obtain an accredited route into the industry. In addition, this course is suitable for property and construction professionals working in industry, who wish to specialise in building surveying.
Why study this course?
– Study at one of the UK’s largest and most established providers of property education; NTU is ranked 2nd in the UK for Building and Town and Country Planning (Guardian University Guide 2019) and our network of alumni within the property profession is extensive and wide-ranging.
– Benefit from excellent employability prospects. 100% of our MSc Building Surveying students are in graduate level employment within six months of finishing their studies (DLHE 2016-2017).
– Our flexible study options support part-time learners, who wish to balance employment with further study.
– Study trips to live sites in the UK and abroad are included in your course fees, designed to help develop your understanding of theory in practice.
– Our course is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE), recognising the quality and relevance of our course content.
– Learn from expert academic staff, who have established links to industry and significant industry experience.
– Have the opportunity to work with an industry mentor – often an NTU alumnus. In previous years, these relationships have led to work experience and employment.
– Hear from visiting industry and academic experts, some of whom are NTU alumni, who will be teaching parts of the modules, providing a ‘real life’ perspective on the topics you will be studying.
– Benefit from modern facilities and inspiring learning spaces, in the heart of Nottingham’s city centre.
– Our location in the centre of the UK allows for easy travel to many major cities, enabling you to benefit from networking events and employability opportunities.
Careers and employability
This course provides an opportunity for graduates from disciplines unrelated to real estate and construction to embark on a professional career, leading to Chartered Surveyor or Chartered Building Engineer status.
Our MSc Building Surveying course has an outstanding reputation for producing employable graduates: 100% of our MSc Building Surveying students are in graduate level employment within six months of finishing their studies (DLHE 2016-2017).
The course is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), enabling successful graduates entry to the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) of the RICS; a prerequisite for full Chartered Surveyor status, and is accredited by the Chartered Association of Building Engineers.
The APC is the on-the-job training scheme that graduates need to complete to qualify as a chartered surveyor. Find out more about how to complete your APC and become RICS qualified.