The MSc in Computer Security and Forensics is ideal for a graduate of Computer Science. Graduates of this course are well-prepared for careers in computer or network security and forensic investigation – with skills in demand by UK employers.
The mixture of hands-on experience and theoretical background will enable you to understand network security, scripting, cryptographic protocols and forensic data analysis using the latest commercial tools (Encase and Forensic Toolkit). You will also discover legal frameworks and legislation relating to computer crime, and be able to present evidence to a court of law.
Why choose this course?
- Study in a specialist vocational area identified by UK employers as having a shortage of qualified practitioners – with career opportunities in security analysis, consulting or cybercrime protection/prevention in the public sector (eg government and police forces) as well as a multitude of medium to large private sector organisations
- Explore areas including computer security; forensics data acquisition and analysis; emerging technologies, professional project management; advanced security countermeasures; networking administration and management; advanced digital forensics and cryptography and cryptanalysis
- Develop practical skills using state-of-the-art computer security and forensics tools and facilities supported by dedicated technologists
- Gain in-depth skills in terms of security auditing, development, planning and managing security techniques, tools and methodologies
- Benefit from developing expertise and understanding of professional codes of conduct equipping you for a career as a security associate, security consultant, penetration tester, network security analyst, systems administrators or in further study on an MSc by Research, MPhil or PhD.
This course gives you skills that are valuable for a career within Computer Security and Forensics but it is also relevant for a much wider range of applications.
The unit ‘Research Methodologies and Project Management’ in particular requires you to work in a team to apply current project management methodology that embraces all of these knowledge areas in an integrated way while going through the stages of planning, execution and project control. You will work as part of a team, take responsibility and make autonomous decisions that impact on the project team performance.