Opis tego kierunku w języku polskim znajdziesz tutaj:
This course represents a unique opportunity for you to study a wider range of species than those covered in traditional animal science degrees. Your learning will focus on the biology of zoo species, namely non-domestic and non-UK wildlife, and how to apply this to all aspects of the management and conservation of captive populations.
Why choose this course?
- We have strong links with UK zoos and wildlife parks.
- You will have access to our modern Animal Unit on campus which houses around 150 animals of 40 different species.
- Field trips include zoo visits and optional project trips to Jersey Zoo, Mauritius and Madagascar.
- Teaching is informed by current research undertaken by academic staff in the School.
- NTU is a member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA) and the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA). We are also a teaching provider for Species 360s’ animal record keeping system (Zoological Information Management System: ZIMS).
Careers and employability
Graduates from this course could potentially become a:
- animal health officer
- animal trainer and presenter
- biochemistry technician
- education officer
- laboratory technician
- tropical fish consultant
- veterinary care assistant
- veterinary receptionist
- wildlife conservation advisor
You could work for companies such as:
- Department of Conservation for New Zealand
- Hôpital du Bocage
- Huntingdon Animal Research Life Sciences
- London Zoo
- Natural England
- Royal Zoological Society of Scotland
- Yorkshire Wildlife Park.
Excellent placement opportunities
We will support you to undertake work experience placement opportunities where possible or a full sandwich year placement during your third year.
Links with industry enable you to gain valuable experience at zoological and wildlife parks throughout the course. Students have also gained valuable experience through placements at companies such as:
- Animal Health Trust
- Blackpool Zoo
- Bristol Conservation and Science Foundation
- Cheetah Outreach
- Chester Zoo
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium, Florida, USA
- Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust
- Endangered Primate Species Centre, Southern Vietnam
- Mauritius Wildlife Foundation
- Paignton Zoo
- West Midland Safari Park