Opis tego kierunku w języku polskim znajdziesz tutaj:
This course focuses on developing innovative designs for the consumer market, in areas of commercial and domestic furniture, interiors, lighting and homewares.
Our course is a designer-centred programme, encouraging you to develop your own individual style, vision and philosophy. You’ll spend time in our industry-standard workshops, developing concepts and learning about principles of effective design. You’ll develop your communication skills through drawing, model making, computer aided design, prototyping scale and full-size realisations of your designs, working on a range of diverse and challenging design projects.
Why study this course?
- Benefit from excellent employability prospects. 100% of our BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design sandwich students are in graduate level employment within six months of finishing their studies (DLHE 2016-2017).
- Benefit from our Building Blocks financial package, supporting you throughout your time at NTU and enabling you to make the most of your studies. As well as money towards the cost of your course materials, you’ll also benefit from study trips and live projects, included in the cost of your course fees, free personal protective equipment (PPE) and a pre-paid printing allowance.
- 95% of our BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design sandwich students are satisfied with their student experience (National Student Survey, 2018).
- Our course is accredited by the Chartered Society of Designers (CSD), recognising the quality and relevance of our course content.
- Gain vital skills and experience in the workplace by undertaking a one-year placement.
- Work on project briefs from companies such as John Lewis, Umbra, Isokon and QFC.
- Experience design inspiration with trips in the UK and abroad included in your course fees. Recently students have travelled to Paris as part of the course to visit the Maison&Objet design fair, and to collaborate with students at the Parisian Strate Design School on a joint lighting project.
- Learn how to use a range of design tools and techniques in our industry-standard facilities and design spaces, including metal, concrete and timber workshops, supported by expert technical staff.
- Turn your ideas into a viable business with help from The Hive, NTU’s purpose-built Centre for Entrepreneurship and Enterprise, a support centre to help students create, develop and grow their own businesses.
- Have the option to study abroad for a semester as part of the European Project Semester (EPS) programme.
- Exhibit your work at our Degree Shows and at national events such as New Designers in London.
- Add to your CV and challenge yourself by taking part in competitions and national events, producing innovative and exciting designs to complex briefs.
- Our students are consistently recognised in national awards. Recent award wins include the Made.com TalentLab prize presented at New Designers and the Design Fresh: Product of the Year at the 100% Design Awards.
How does the course differ from our BA (Hons) Product Design and BSc (Hons) Product Design courses?
- Our BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design course specifically focuses on furniture and homeware product design. Our BA (Hons) Product Design course concentrates on the design of products, systems and services including consumer goods, electronic gadgets, sustainable products, sports and healthcare equipment, packaging, and transportation.
- Our BSc (Hons) Product Design course is a technology-centred programme that places the requirements of manufacture, technology and scientific advancement at the core of the product development process.
Careers and employability
Our course is designed to prepare you to succeed in the design industry, through work placements, working on real projects from industry, input from industry professionals, and regularly updated course content. 100% of our BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design sandwich students are in graduate level employment within six months of finishing their studies (DLHE 2016-2017).
Where do Product Design graduates from NTU work?
NTU has a strong product design alumni community, with many graduates working in senior positions in leading national and international companies.
Recent graduate destinations include G-Plan, John Lewis, Benchmark, Nestle, FBC London, Object Design, DFS, Games Workshop, Roundhouse Design and Kitchen Architecture.