Opis tego kierunku w języku polskim znajdziesz tu>>
Learning a language opens a door to another culture. On this course you will gain a near-fluent command of the German language and combine it with study of the culture of German-speaking countries. We offer courses on German literature, film, history, philosophy and memory studies covering topics from the sixteenth century to the present day. Our graduates go on to careers in international organisations or businesses, in translation or teaching, and as researchers or journalists.
The third year is normally spent at a partner institution in Germany or a German-speaking country to allow you to develop your language skills and your knowledge of the culture.
The programme is also available, without a year abroad, full-time over three years or part-time over four years or six years.
- Arts and humanities at Birkbeck are ranked fifth best in London, 18th in the UK and 87th globally in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject.
- Birkbeck’s BA programme offers a multidisciplinary approach to studying the language, culture and history of German-speaking countries.
- The variety of research interests and teaching experiences of our academic staff means that we offer a wide range of courses and topics, ranging from the sixteenth to the twenty-first centuries, covering literature, film, philosophy, history and memory studies.
- Our Department of Cultures and Languages brings together research and teaching in French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish, making it an outstanding interdisciplinary department.
- As part of the Department of European Cultures and Languages you can also choose modules beyond the confines of German studies, thus integrating your particular field of study into a wider European cultural context.
- The School of Arts is an official partner of the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) in London. Opportunities for students have included a year’s free membership of the ICA, private views, discounts on all talks and events, free members’ screenings and £3 cinema tickets on Tuesdays, up to 25% off ICA Artists’ Editions and a monthly e-newsletter.