History and Medieval Studies explores medieval, early and modern history through subjects including, women’s history and gender, modern British society, cultural history and the history of religion, health and medicine.
Studying this three-year BA degree course opens up a range of exciting career opportunities by helping you develop skills, which are highly valued by employers.
94% of our History graduates are employed or in further study within six months after graduating (Destinations of Leavers in Higher Education 2015).
WHY HISTORY AND MEDIEVAL STUDIES AT SWANSEA?
Based at our stunning Singleton Park campus, in parkland overlooking Swansea Bay on the edge of the Gower Peninsula, our History and Medieval Studies course at Swansea University is highly regarded by students and employers:
- History research is ranked in the Top 30 (Research Excellence Framework 2014) and has 93% Student Satisfaction (National Student Survey 2017)
- Top-15 for Graduate Prospects (The Times Good University Guide, 2018 and The Complete University Guide, 2019)
- Opportunity to take a study trip or field project module
- In your third year you can choose a ‘special subject’ module focussing on a topic and culminating in an dissertation
- Modules in British, American, European and Welsh history
- Swansea lies at the heart of a region studded with the remains of the medieval past including castles, forts and churches
You’ll be taught by staff who are especially strong in the history of gender and sexuality, political thought, welfare and conflict, maritime and imperial history, religious history, science and medicine.
You have the option of a semester abroad. You can choose to go East and study in Hong Kong, China or Singapore or West and study in North America.
If you prefer to stay closer to home, and want to enhance your student experience and career prospects, The Swansea University Work Placement Programmes offer three work place programmes: Week of Work (WOW); Swansea paid Internship Programme (SPIN) and Santander Universities Funded Placements.
You can also link up with the Swansea Employability Academy (SEA). It provides a network connecting students with employers. You can attend talks and workshops as well as student led networking events.
YOUR HISTORY AND MEDIEVAL STUDIES EXPERIENCE
During your three-year History and Medieval Studies course you will have an academic mentor for any pastoral and academic support you may need, and The Society of Ancient Studies and History student society organises social and cultural events.
We offer varied and flexible course content and you can tailor your degree to your own individual interests.
HISTORY AND MEDIEVAL STUDIES EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Students on this course typically develop excellent oral and writing skills and you will also learn to develop your ideas in a wide range of formats, along with strong research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Our graduates enter careers in a wide range of sectors including:
- Media and Public Relations
- Heritage and Museums
- Business and Management
- Law and Public Services