Opis tego kierunku w języku polskim znajdziesz tu >>
Birkbeck’s BA Linguistics and Culture lets you study linguistics together with a language – you can choose from French, German, Italian, Japanese or Spanish – along with the associated culture of that language.
In the linguistics component of the course, you will learn about the structure and functions of language, and how people use language to communicate information and meaning about themselves and their identity. You will learn how to construct and evaluate linguistic arguments and how to compare and evaluate different ways of analysing data. You will also explore the nature and limitations of various theoretical frameworks. By studying linguistics, you can develop a scientific, critical approach to understanding how language works and how it functions within society. A unique feature of the course is that you will learn how to apply linguistic methods and models to real-world problems and contexts.
At the same time, you will gain advanced knowledge of the culture of your chosen language, including literature, thought and cinema, and you can also choose to explore cross-cultural elements.
The programme is also available for full-time evening study over three years.
- Arts and humanities at Birkbeck are ranked fifth best in London, 18th in the UK and 87th globally in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject.
- You will be taught by world-leading scholars with international research reputations, which will allow you to acquire mastery of your chosen language and a thorough knowledge of contemporary linguistic ideas.
- Our Department of Applied Linguistics and Communication is the oldest applied linguistics department in the country, celebrating its 54th anniversary in 2019. We remain on the cutting edge of the field.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), Modern Languages and Linguistics achieved 100% for a research environment conducive to producing research of the highest quality, while 73% of our research was recognised as world-leading or internationally excellent.
- Read what our students have to say about studying with us.