Our MSc Economics degree has been designed to give you an in-depth understanding of economic concepts, principles and techniques by focusing on the application of economics to contemporary real-world issues.
You will be encouraged to ‘think like an economist’ through the application of economic ideas and methods drawn from a range of alternative perspectives. By studying economics here, the emphasis is on the application of versatile tools, techniques and methods of thought which are distinctively associated with professional economists.
You’ll have the opportunity to work hands-on with economic tools and techniques, including the use of our state-of the-art Trading Room. You will learn how to access economic phenomena, using theory and evidence to draw insights into the underlying causes and importantly their impact on people, businesses and the wider society.
Finally, in your third semester, you’ll choose an experiential project. With the opportunity to use your skills in a real-world setting, you can choose from completing a consultancy experience project, an internship experience project, a business research project or a global experience project.
Nottingham Business School is a UK leader in financial and business education – an Economics degree from NTU gives you the foundations and opportunities to pursue a wide range of exciting careers.
What you’ll gain from this degree?
– apply advanced economic concepts and techniques to analyse problems in scare resource allocation.
– synthesise and critique a range of economic ideas and methods relating to issues and problems in the allocation of scarce resources.
– be able to apply advanced economic concepts and techniques to evaluate international trade and investment flows.
– learn how to synthesise and critique a range of methods employed in evaluating prospective investments in goods and services.
– evaluate the rigour and validity of published research and assess its relevance to the practice of economics.
– make recommendations for organisational practice based on theoretical insights through a process of experiential or applied learning.
– develop a critical understanding of the role of the economics discipline in the global context.
Careers and employability
At Nottingham Business School, we’re focused on your employability from the start of your postgraduate degree. We provide you with a learning experience that integrates theory and practice.
Graduates from this course have gone onto roles within the public, private and third sector, undertaking positions such as:
– economic researchers
– investor relations manager
– Banking Supervisor
– financial analyst