Our MSc Finance and Investment Banking course will teach you about analysing and valuing investment products, critical analysis of information in derivatives markets and portfolio and investment management. You’ll explore the operation of markets, their major participants and the regulatory environments, as well as building a firm understanding of corporate finance, basic accounting and financial analysis.
This course emphasises the analysis and valuation of investment products, and critical analysis of information in derivatives markets and portfolio and investment management. You’ll work with financial tools and techniques in an applied setting, using our state-of-the-art Trading Room equipped with the latest Bloomberg software to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful in this sector.
In your third semester, you’ll choose an experiential project. With the opportunity to use your skills in a real-world setting, you can choose from completing a consultancy experience project, an internship experience project, a business research project or a global experience project.
Our Finance and Investment Banking course has been created in collaboration with the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). The modules are aligned with the institution’s own qualifications, which you can work towards upon completion of your degree.The Chartered Financial Analyst credential is held by over 150,000 professionals around the world. The charter gives a strong understanding of advanced investment analysis and real-world portfolio management skills.
As we are one of the preferred partners for the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) this course allows our students a quicker route to the CIMA Professional Qualification and the global professional designation of Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA). The CIMA Professional Qualification is recognised worldwide as the most relevant global finance qualification for a career in business.
What you’ll gain from this degree?
– an ability to apply knowledge, tools and techniques to resolve issues in new and diverse situations within the field of investment banking.
– a wide-ranging theoretical background and equip you with practical skills for active interaction in the world of finance.
– an ability to apply advanced concepts and techniques to analyse financial markets and instruments.
– developmental skills to synthesise and critique a range of methods employed in analysing investments in financial products.
– an ability to evaluate the rigour and validity of published research, and to assess its relevance to the practice of investment banking.
Careers and employability
At Nottingham Business School, we’re focused on your employability from the start of your postgraduate degree. We provide you with a learning experience that integrates theory and practice.
Graduates from this course have gone onto roles within the public, private and third sector, undertaking positions such as:
– equity trader and analyst
– financial associate
– investment manager
– tax accountant
– fund manager