Explore the molecular biology of prokaryotes and eukaryotes and looks at how genomes are mutated, analysed and manipulated in the detection, study and therapy of disease. The course includes optional modules for you to select depending upon your aspirations and interests.
This Cell Biology postgraduate degree is particularly relevant if you:
- are a recently qualified undergraduate and are looking for the professional skills needed to obtain a job in a bioscience company
- are working in an organisation and want a Masters-level qualification to give you a competitive edge
- require the skills and experience needed to study for a research degree
- are an international student who would like to study abroad
- would like the chance for extended research work in the lab of an experienced research academic
- want to use cutting-edge facilities to develop your own learning and research.
How you’re taught
Taught modules are assessed by a variety of different types of course work including:
- written assignments
- oral presentations
- poster presentations
- a research project – it will involve the design, implementation and reporting of a major research task as a thesis and presentation orally and / or as a poster.
This degree will be delivered through lectures, laboratory classes, demonstrations, computer packages, and project work. We have state-of-the-art lecture, computing, library and laboratory facilities at your disposal.
Careers and employability
The vast majority of students from this Cell Biology Masters course progress onto relevant employment within their chosen field or study for a PhD. This is because they are able to develop extensive knowledge of their subject area as well as vital research skills. This knowledge is further enhanced by the research project which students can develop in their area of interest in depth.
You will gather together relevant practical skills throughout laboratory classes producing a training record. This can be presented to potential employers as proof of competence in a laboratory setting. It also provides you with experience of managing what is essentially a personal development portfolio, which is now a standard tool for monitoring progression and performance in a scientific career as well as out in the sector.
The University’s award-winning Employability Team has an enviable reputation for helping our graduates find employment and offers individual consultations. Sessions are available to all students at NTU on CV writing and interview technique. Visit our Employability pages to find out more about the services they offer.
Although this course does not offer a formal placement, it is vocationally focused and benefits from strong links with industry.
To us, research is about more than writing papers and proposing new ideas. By daring to think differently, we’re disrupting the research landscape and finding the answers to the questions that really matter. From conservation management to sustainable farming, we’re inspiring the brightest minds to rise up and find solutions to some of the most significant global challenges facing society.