This course is a fusion of architecture and interior design. It deals specifically with public and private commercial spaces within an urban environment. You will explore the impact of materials, technology, structures and form. You will study the design and rehabilitation of buildings, the technical aspects of construction, and how architecture relates to the notions of live, work and relax. You will develop your skills through a mixture of problem-based learning, design studio tutoring, workshops and traditional teaching.
To prepare you for the profession, we put an emphasis on cross-disciplinary practice and live competition briefs. Teaching staff and visiting professionals bring further industry perspectives to the course.
Interior architecture graduates often go on to design the rehabilitation and extension of existing buildings, or the creation of new built environments. You could find yourself working in architectural and urban consultancy, workplace design, housing research, and retail planning or community development.
Petr graduated in 2011 having studied IDEA ( Interior Design Environment Architectures) at Ravensbourne. He is now a successful architectural designer based in London, working with internationally respected MATT architecture. Petr explains how the commitment Ravensbourne tutors offer their students inspired him to succeed.
How to succeed as an Architectural Designer by Alumni Petr Esposito
Top reasons to apply for this course
- This course has ARB Part 1 prescription
- Unparalleled opportunities in a design specialist institution
- State of the art facilities in an award winning building
- Outstanding teaching from senior industry experts, with direct contacts to the professions and industry
- An ambitious nurturing environment with an excellent employment rate
- Challenging creative projects, that are contemporary and future facing
- International profile, a renowned history of success, a top 10 world academic institution in its subject areas, based in London a dynamic world city
Key study topics
- Future facing creative interior architectural design, experiment and exploration in new interior/architectural design and the re making of existing spaces
- Architectural study tours abroad, looking at contemporary design
- Opportunities to take part in international events and competitions
- Live project opportunities
- Parametric and computer generated design at the cutting edge
- Latest techniques for designing structures and rapid prototyping
- Architectural and interior history, theory and context
- Business enterprise for design and regulatory frameworks
- New developments in re use of existing buildings design
- New developments in interior architecture/design projects around the world