Your first year at Essex will be with Essex Pathways. In your second year of study, you will join the Department of Language and Linguistics for the remaining three years of study
How far are your views on politics, history, film, and popular culture constrained by the country you live in? We offer you the chance to expand that outlook by immersing you in all aspects of some of the world’s most prominent Hispanic and Lusophone cultures.
You will study up to three of the languages offered at Essex: French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese, completing at least one language to a minimum of Proficiency level. Mandarin Chinese can be studied for one year. Over three years you will gain practical skills in the use of these languages as well as developing a thorough understanding of several of our planet’s most vibrant societies. We also house the internationally important collection of Latin American art, ESCALA.
Beginning with a broad survey of the area and its history in your first year, from pre-Conquest times to the present day, our course gives you a substantial degree of freedom. This allows you to focus on the topics and areas which inspire you the most, such as:
- Contemporary Latin American art, culture and society
- The economic and political history of Latin America
- Indigenous issues in Latin America
- Caribbean literature
We also offer a month-long summer course with fees paid for by us if you start a language from scratch via the intensive route.
We are a renowned department of Language and Linguistics and many of our staff are internationally famous for their research, we are a place where talented students become part of an academic community in which the majority of research is rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’, placing us firmly within the top 10 departments in the UK (REF 2014).
If you want a global outlook, are interested in human communication, and want to study for a degree with real-world practical value in a world-class department, welcome to Essex.
Our expert staff
Our staff are internationally renowned. Their books are often found as key texts on the reading lists at other universities. All our language teachers are native or bilingual speakers, we maintain excellent student-staff ratios, and we integrate language learning with linguistics wherever there is synergy.
In addition to helping you acquire practical foreign language skills, our staff share their expertise with you in the areas of professional translation, interpreting and subtitling, film and art, business, and culture.
- Access to a multimedia language teaching lab which are software, and fitted with computers integrating audio-visual projectors and large screens and equipped with WinCaps software for subtitling.
- A Conference Interpreting lab for training and hosting students interpreting conferences.
- An exciting programme of research seminars and other events
- Our Albert Sloman Library houses a strong collection of books, journals, electronic resources and major archives
Companies and organisations in the UK and abroad are struggling to find university graduates who are fluent in at least one other language, apart from English.
Being an Essex modern languages graduate places you in a very advantageous position. You will be able to speak and write fluently, or to a very competent standard, in up to two languages.
Our graduates go on to become teachers, translators, administrators and journalists amongst other jobs. The language skills they acquire enable them to work in diverse fields including banking, entertainment, media, education and tourism, as well as for a host of UK and international companies.
For example, one of our recent graduates is now a newspaper editor in Spain, while another teaches modern languages in Southampton.
We also work with the University’s Student Development Team to help you find out about further work experience, internships, placements, and voluntary opportunities.
Why we’re great
- You can study up to three languages; choosing between French, German, Portuguese*, Italian and Spanish from beginner or post-A level. Mandarin Chinese is available at Intensive Initial level.
- You are taught by lecturers who are internationally recognised for their research.
- You will combine practical language study to a high level with a current, relevant academic discipline
We offer a flexible course structure with a mixture of core/compulsory modules, and optional modules chosen from lists.
Teaching methods include lectures, presentations and learning by teaching others
- Assessment is by a combination of coursework (assignments, essays, presentations and tests) and end-of-year examinations.
- Other assessment methods include quizzes, presentations, role-play activities, portfolios, group work, and projects.