Why study this course?
- Our course is accredited, under license from the Engineering Council, by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM), which represents the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), the Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE) and the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT). It’s also accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors, recognising the quality and relevance of the course content.
- Benefit from excellent employability prospects. 95% of our BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering sandwich students are in work or further study within six months of finishing their studies, earning an average salary of £27,900 (DLHE, 2016-2017). Due to a skills shortage and a boom in the construction industry, civil engineering graduates are heavily sought after.
- You’ll join a course with excellent student satisfaction. 92% of our BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering Sandwich students are satisfied with their student experience (National Student Survey, 2018).
- Take the first step in gaining Incorporated Engineer status – this course is accredited as fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
- Benefit from our Building Blocks financial package, supporting you throughout your time at NTU and enabling you to make the most of your studies. As well as money towards the cost of your course materials, you’ll also benefit from study trips and live projects, included in the cost of your course fees, free personal protective equipment (PPE) and a pre-paid printing allowance.
- Experience hands-on learning in our modern facilities and workshops, offering industry-standard equipment and support from our team of expert technicians.
- Apply your learning to the real world and network with experts in industry, with opportunities to take part in site visits and a residential surveying trip included in course fees, and live projects part of the course.
- Gain vital skills and experience in the workplace by undertaking a one-year placement.
- Tailor your studies to suit your strengths and interests, with opportunities to transfer on to the BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering course, from which you could progress to our MEng (Hons) Civil Engineering Design and Construction course.
How does this course differ from our BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering and MEng (Hons) Civil Engineering courses?
- Our BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering course contains a higher level of mathematics and structural analysis, in comparison to our BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering course. Our BEng course partially satisfies the educational base for Chartered Engineer status (CEng).
- Our MEng (Hons) Civil Engineering Design and Construction course is taught over four years (five years with a placement) and you will gain a Master of Engineering Degree. In your final year, you will work alongside students studying related postgraduate courses, undertaking a complex and challenging project. An accredited MEng is the most direct route to Chartered Engineer status.
Careers and employability
Our course is designed to prepare you to succeed in the construction industry. Through working on real projects from industry, field work and regularly updated course content, you’ll be equipped with skills and experience to carry with you for the rest of your professional career.
Recent growth in UK industry has revealed a skills shortage in this area. You’ll graduate with desirable skills and knowledge, boosting your employment prospects.
Where do Civil Engineering graduates from NTU work?
NTU has a strong civil engineering alumni community, with many graduates working in senior positions in leading national and international companies.
Recent BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering graduate destinations include:
- Buckingham Group
- Plowman Craven