Classical Civilisation and Latin covers the literature and culture of the Greek and Roman worlds alongside studying intermediary and advanced Latin. This three-year BA joint honours degree opens up a range of exciting career possibilities by helping you to develop transferable skills, which are highly valued by employers.
The cultures of Greece and Rome are arguably the foundation of western civilisation. Explore Greek and Roman mythology, history and society, drama, philosophy, fiction, satire, art and architecture and Latin language.
Classical Civilisation and Latin enables you to explore and examine civilisations that may appear distant but remain influential in the 21st century.
Swansea University is ranked in the Top-10 Guardian University Guide (2018 National Student Survey), and you will have the option to study a semester in either the USA, Canada, China, Hong Kong or Singapore during the second year, further improving your student experience and career prospects.
WHY CLASSICAL CIVILISATION AND LATIN AT SWANSEA?
Based at our stunning Singleton Park campus, in parkland overlooking Swansea Bay on the edge of the Gower Peninsula, Classical Civilisation and Latin degrees at Swansea University are highly regarded:
- Classical Civilisation is ranked Top-10 for Research Quality (The Complete University Guide, 2019) and 8th for Feedback and Assessment (National Student Survey, 2019)
- 95% of Classics, Ancient History and Egyptology single and joint honours graduates from Swansea University are satisfied with the quality of their course (National Student Survey, 2018).
Swansea University is proud to be home to the Egypt Centre, which houses over 5,000 archaeological objects from the Wellcome Collection of Egyptian antiquities.
You can also gain teaching experience by leading workshops for the South West Wales Reaching Wider Partnership to enhance your student experience and career prospects.
YOUR CLASSICAL CIVILISATION AND LATIN EXPERIENCE
During your first year, you will explore Greek mythology and Latin language as well as varied and flexible course content, so you can shape your Classical Civilisation and Latin degree to your on interests.
Our interdisciplinary approach means you make connections with a range of subject areas – examining past cultures, covering the Greek and Roman worlds as well as Latin language.
Teaching is informed by our world-leading research and you can attend seminars organised through our guest speaker programme.
You will have an academic mentor for any pastoral and academic support you may need, and the Society of Ancient Studies and organises social and cultural events.
CLASSICAL CIVILISATION AND LATIN EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
- 94% of our Classical Civilisation graduates are employed or in further study within six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)
- 93% of Classics, Ancient History and Egyptology graduates are employed or in further study within six months after graduating (DLHE 2015).
- Heritage and museums
- Media and public relations
- Public services
Students on this course typically develop excellent oral and writing skills and you will learn to present your ideas in a range of formats along with strong research and analytical skills.