This course offers a modular route to a full-honours degree combining sport science with coaching in a professional qualification. You will study the rapidly expanding field of Sport and Exercise Science along with the more vocational area of coaching.
The course aims to put the coaching on a scientific, evidence-based footing. This will enable you to apply scientific sport principles to coaching and improving sport performance. You will:
- develop vocationally-related expertise.
- prepare for a career in sports coaching.
Why choose this course?
You will have access to outstanding facilities, including:
- a British Olympic Association (BOA) approved Environmental Chamber
- a Biomechanics and Performance Analysis Suite.
You will have the unique opportunity to leave the University with numerous coaching qualifications and awards. This is because our Sport and Lifestyle Department offers sports coaching opportunities.
- We also have British Association of Sport and Exercise Science (BASES) accredited physiologists and sport psychologists in our Sport Science Academic Team.
- NTU has been designated as a National Performance Centre by England Hockey. This is thanks to our superb sporting facilities, coaching staff and services.
- Top 20 university in the UK for Sport Science (Complete University Guide 2019)
- Top 20 university in the UK for Sport Science (The Times and Sunday Times University Guide 2019)
- Top 20 university in the UK for student satisfaction in Sport Science (NSS 2018)
Careers and employability
You will develop and apply a range of essential, transferable management skills that are greatly respected by employers.
Recent graduates from our Sports Science degrees have gone onto work in the following roles:
- Fitness First – personal trainer
- Excel Sport Coaching – manager / coach
- The University Of Leicester – rugby development officer
- The University Of East Anglia – fitness adviser
- Saracens LTD Rubgy Club – strength and conditioning assistant
- GB Canoeing – athlete
- Coventry City Football Club – academy analyst.
Graduate salaries range from £10,000 – £30,000 per year.
On successful completion of the course, many graduates choose to undertake further study on one of our Masters-level courses or MPhil and PhD research degrees.
Excellent placement opportunities
Throughout your time with us you will have many opportunities to put theory into practice, gain valuable experience and develop the skills that will prepare you for the career of your choice.
You have the option to undertake a one year work placements in industry. On successful completion you will gain an additional award – the Placement Diploma in Professional Practice.
In addition, you will undertake research and consultancy projects with a host of leading sport and leisure organisations, providing you with invaluable industry experience. These include:
- British Olympic Association
- Nottingham Rugby Club
- England Hockey
- Nottingham Forest Football Club
- Derby Rugby Club
- British Association for Sport and Exercise Sciences.