The English-Chinese Translation and Interpreting degree will allow you to develop translation and interpreting skills. With more than 950 million Mandarin-Chinese native speakers worldwide it’s often the most common language required for professional translation services.
Studying this three-year degree opens up a range of exciting career opportunities by helping you develop skills, which are highly valued by employers.
With 96% of students in employment or in further study within six months of graduating (Destinations of Leavers in Higher Education DLHE 2015), our English – Chinese Translation and Interpreting degree will put you in a great position to succeed in a variety of careers.
WHY ENGLISH – CHINESE TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING AT SWANSEA?
Based on our stunning Singleton Park campus, in parkland overlooking Swansea Bay on the edge of the Gower Peninsula, English – Chinese Translation and Interpreting is highly rated by students and employers:
- Top 10 for graduate prospects (Times and Sunday Times 2018)
- Swansea is the only university to offer this unique degree and is only available to native or near-native speakers of Chinese Mandarin, who have a high competence of English as a foreign language
- You will have the opportunity to do translation work experience
- You will be able to gain experience of interpreting for local government and business
YOUR ENGLISH – CHINESE TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING EXPERIENCE
The English – Chinese Translation and Interpreting programme includes two thematically linked strands running through the degree:
- Advanced training in English language, tailored for Chinese native speakers, including writing and study skills
- You will acquire concentrated language proficiency and the knowledge of specialised business, legal or scientific/technical language.
During your degree you will study practical training modules in our computer labs, with leading software tools, so you can undertake computer-assisted translation in your profession.
You will experience an external virtual learning environment through mobile apps and online videos and class discussions, group work, role-play and translation projects which will ensure you have the right skills for the workplace.
ENGLISH – CHINESE TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Our graduates have careers in translation and interpreting for business organisations, education, media and public relations, government and public services. Translators work in a variety of environments from freelance to in-house with established companies.