A world of opportunities is waiting for you. Graduates of this programme could go onto careers in the UK or overseas in hotels, restaurants, spas, cruise ships, airlines, events and visitor attractions.
The course includes an integrated work experience placement in Wivenhoe House, a 4* country house hotel on Essex’s Colchester campus.
With a student experience unlike any other, it may come as no surprise that the Edge Hotel School is ranked 3rd in the UK for overall student satisfaction for Tourism, Transport and Travel in the National Student Survey 2021. This result follows the previous ranking of 1st in the UK in the NSS2020, demonstrating a consistent level of excellence in delivering an exceptional student experience.
After completing the FdA you will have the opportunity, subject to satisfactory performance, to continue with your studies and finish with a BA degree.
EU students commencing their course in the 2021-22 academic year will be liable for the International fee. This course is not suitable if you need a Student Visa to study in the UK.
At Essex you will gain the knowledge and industry connections to launch your career in hospitality management. You will develop your hospitality skills and business management understanding to open up a world of opportunities in this growing industry. You will study topics including:
- Change management and hospitality business innovation
- Gastronomy and food trends
- Finance and macro-economics
- Event planning and venue management
- Human resources management
- Digital marketing
The Edge Hotel School experience is unlike any other student experience, where you will have the best of both worlds. Not only will you graduate from a well-renowned university – you will develop your industry knowledge and professional skills by gaining valuable experience in Wivenhoe House, a fully-commercial 4* hotel alongside your studies.
Our expert staff
Our staff includes lecturers with both professional as well as academic backgrounds to ensure you are taught by people with industry-relevant experience themselves. Among our academic staff are published authors including a former hotel General Manager, a Food and Beverage Manager for award-winning cruise lines, an organiser of the BRIT Awards and London Fashion Week and a Dr. (PhD) with international research experience.
- Wivenhoe House, where you will gain experience, is a 40-bedroom country house hotel on the university campus with a brasserie restaurant and a busy conference and events function that hosts over 300 events and 50 weddings annually. If for any reason the hotel is subject to closures during rotations, we have developed a comprehensive platform of online skills and experience workshops to replicate the practical experience offer as closely as possible.
- The Edge Hotel School has connections with a range of organisations across the hospitality and events industries – throughout your studies you can expect guest lectures, masterclasses and an annual careers fair to help further your career prospects. Supporters of the Edge Hotel School include Apex Hotels, The Arora Group, BaxterStorey, Claridges, Dorchester Collection, Edge Foundation, EDITION Hotels, Exclusive Hotels and Venues, Georgian House Hotel, Hand Picked Hotels, The Landmark London, Levy UK and Ireland, Master Innholders, Moet Hennessey, Milsoms Hotels and Restaurants, Oakman Inns, Royal Lancaster London, the Savoy Educational Trust, Sbe, St Julians Scholars – among many others.
- The Edge Hotel Society hosts student-organised events including industry speakers, student social events and an annual ball.
- As an Edge Hotel School student you will be issued with a uniform to wear for your shifts in Wivenhoe House and when representing the School externally. You will just need to provide your own white shirts and black shoes.
The skills you will gain throughout your Hospitality Management degree will be transferrable to a range of working environments within the hospitality industry including hotels, restaurants, resorts and event management. There are opportunities throughout the course to meet hotel general managers and recruitment managers to further your professional network.
Graduates of this programme can go onto careers, in the UK or internationally, in areas such as:
- Marketing and sales
- Events or festival management
- Cruise ships
Why we’re great
- Our lecturers have international industry experience to support your learning and development
- Edge Hotel School graduates go onto careers all over the world
- You will gain experience alongside your studies in a real 4* hotel to boost your employability
Below is an example of a module list from the current academic year. Our research-led teaching is continually evolving to address the latest challenges and breakthroughs in the field, therefore all modules listed are subject to change. To view the full list of modules currently on offer, please view the programme specification via the link below.
Teaching and learning disclaimer
Following the impact of the pandemic, we made changes to our teaching and assessment to ensure our current students could continue with their studies uninterrupted and safely. These changes included courses being taught through blended delivery, normally including some face-to-face teaching, online provision, or a combination of both across the year.
The teaching and assessment methods listed show what is currently approved for 2022 entry; changes may be necessary if, by the beginning of this course, we need to adapt the way we’re delivering them due to the external environment, and to allow you to continue to receive the best education possible safely and seamlessly.