This course provides an introduction to a range of disciplines, from geophysics to palaeontology, and from volcanology to sedimentology. You will be taught by internationally distinguished researchers who are experts in their field. As well as attending this course in central London, you can also study by distance learning via our online learning environment wherever you are in the world – and whenever it suits you.
We are one of the few departments that meets thein a BSc programme. This is a commitment that many full-time courses do not match and at present we are only one of a few geology programmes that does.
Each year you attend a major residential field course of 10-14 days. You also attend weekend field classes and have to undertake a substantial amount of field research on your own.
Field courses are designed to complement the lecture programme and lab-based practical classes. In the field, you have the opportunity to cement your theoretical understanding with practical experience, and develop independent research skills. Currently, we take students to the Isle of Skye (Year 1), North-West Scotland or Greece (Year 2) and Morocco and the Canary Islands (Year 3).
This course is also available foror .
- Our Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences has been offering evening study courses for over 70 years.
- We retain close links with UCL’s Department of Earth Sciences, sharing expertise, facilities and events across the two institutions, including live streaming of lectures and digital lecture notes. In our joint submission with UCL, Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences at Birkbeck were rated sixth in the UK in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- We are part of the joint UCL-Birkbeck Institute of Earth and Planetary Sciences (IEPS).
- We offer residential field trips to sites in Greece, Morocco, Scotland, Spain and Wales.
- Accredited by the Geological Society as a recognised professional qualification.