Opis tego kierunku w języku polskim znajdziesz tutaj:
Our Masters in Illustration is designed to create accomplished visual thinkers whose practice is shaped by current dialogue and innovative thinking in this exciting and progressive discipline.
Through the course, you will be given the opportunity to explore areas of illustration such as children’s books, graphic novels, editorial illustration, illustration for branding and experimental illustration. Whichever route you decide to take with your Masters project, you will be encouraged to take creative risks by pushing your work in new and exciting directions.
MA Illustration is designed to support you in developing an entrepreneurial approach to your practice and we hope that – like many before you – you will use the MA as a springboard for your illustrative career. You will do this by creating a professional journal that you will use to actively build your professional persona. In this journal you will critically reflect on the current thought and practice of illustration as a discipline.
– Create a project tailored to your own personal illustrative interests and career aspirations
– Engage with industry by undertaking networking opportunities, short internships and studio visits
– Work in our professional MA studio space alongside other creatives
– Benefit from regular lectures from leading figures in the illustration and design industries.
– Attend workshops covering Visual Identity, Visual Sequence for Children’s Books and Graphic Novels, Ideation for Editorial Illustration, Branding, Typography and Life Drawing sessions
– Opt for an additional advanced research module if you’re thinking of progressing to PhD or Professional Doctorate study.
This course will equip you with strong creative and problem-solving skills. Our graduates become valuable members of professional teams working together on a range of visual communication projects, involving all kinds of cross-discipline collaborations.
Our graduates often pursue careers in digital and printed media for advertising, branding, marketing and promotion, and a diverse range of publications.
Recent graduates roles and destinations include:
– freelance illustrator and designer
– graphic designer, Dot Dash Design
– intern designer and illustrator, The Future Melting Pot
– set up their own businesses, in the UK and abroad
– progressed to further study at PhD level
– work within related careers in the design sector
– returned to their previous occupations with a new focus
Connections with Industry
We’ll support and encourage you to undertake short internships and studio visits to engage with industry. You’ll also have the opportunity to enter industry competitions and take on live projects.
Recent examples have included:
– RSA competition briefs
– Creative Conscience competitions – focused on ethically conscious design
– collaborative projects with galleries such as Nottingham Contemporary
– Stratford Literary Festival and Salariya Children’s Picture Book Prize
– The Macmillan Prize for Illustration
You’ll benefit from guest lectures from visiting professionals who will cover a wide range of creative and professional practice. Recent guests have come from companies such as:
– Alexis Deacon, children’s book author and illustrator
– Roderick Mills, artist and illustrator
– Chrissie Levett, from Creative Conscience Awards
– social media entrepreneur, Debbiedooodah
You’ll also benefit from design graduates returning to give guest lectures through our Graphic Design Symposium. Recent visiting alumni include Reece Hines, brand strategist for Blup, and Stuart Watson, creative director of Nomad.
You’ll have the opportunity to learn entrepreneurship skills through business development courses (such as The Hive’s HeadStart programme), and attend events held by industry experts and organisations. You will keep a professional journal, which you will develop throughout the course to become an in-depth examination of current professional theory and practice in your specialist subject area.
You will also attend work-related learning sessions on topics such as self-promotion and marketing, interview skills, and CV and portfolio building.