Media production is an exciting, social activity – a form of communication influenced by many factors: cultural, economic and political. Successful practitioners in this industry make powerful media products that communicate with their target audience through drama or documentary.
On this successful course you will learn to make both, with the option to continue as a generalist or specialise in moving image, radio, new media or scriptwriting.
Combined with theory and history of the media, it will give you the skills you need to join many of our previous graduates in UK or international media careers.
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Learn with an emphasis on the production process on a broad based course that exposes you to a range of media production areas
- Study both theory and practice, learning to combine these elements to create effective communications as you learn to make dramas and documentaries and choose, if you wish, specialise in moving image, radio, new media or scriptwriting
- Develop your practical skills by working with the University’s community radio station
- Gain from access to a wide range of professional production equipment – we are an Apple Centre of Education Excellence – including broadcast-standard television and radio studios; and the latest world-class research in media through your tutors and the research institute RIMAD
- Challenge yourself to participate in and contribute to the student festivals and competition
- Explore opportunities to enter a career in any industry that requires excellent communications and team-working skills
- Benefit from a course that will enable you to work in television and radio production, digital media production, journalism, teaching, advertising, media and PR or progress to further study
The creative, analytical and practical skills you will acquire will equip you for many different careers both within the media industries and beyond.
You will graduate with immediately relevant vocational skills together with the ability to develop and plan your career, capitalising on the intellectual skills that will serve you throughout your life. However, our graduates also opt for careers in teaching, in public relations and in public service.
Many students choose to continue in education and register on taught or research based Masters courses in media. Students can continue onto our MA Documentary or MA in Creative Digital Media Production.
Students can also continue onto PhDs which can lead to a career in higher education.