Opis tego kierunku w języku polskim znajdziesz tutaj:
This exciting new four year MBiol courses combines course material and content from undergraduate and postgraduate levels, giving you a Masters-level qualification.
Why choose this course?
If you have drive and ambition to progress into a professional scientific career in industry or academia or onto a PhD, then this course is ideal for you. It provides tailored knowledge, technical skills and research expertise to help you stand out in the jobs market.
During this course you will:
- develop the practical skills employers are looking for with a project in your third year and a year-long project in your final year
- work with our internationally renowned experts – they will supervise and review your research projects
- get a Masters-level qualification – your research project will be assessed and moderated using Masters-level criteria and your final year modules will be of Masters level
- be work-ready – you have the option of a 12 month work placement in the third year, which can build upon your practical experience and is often paid. NTU is 3rd in the UK for Bioscience students on year-long work placements (HESA 2017/18).
- NTU is in the top 20 universities in the UK for biological science – The Times and Sunday Times University Guide 2019.
Careers and employability
As well as the Masters-level practical laboratory skills, this course will equip you with transferable skills in critical analysis and understanding, qualities and attributes necessary for a wide range of careers in industry, commerce, teaching, and research.
You will be well placed to pursue positions in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry and the majority of biological science related disciplines.
Recent microbiology graduates have secured positions at:
- Diageo alcoholic beverages
- Northern Foods
- the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute.
Typical job roles include:
- biomedical sales
- food microbiologist
- genome sequencing
- microbiology technician
- trainee biomedical scientist posts.
Many graduates also choose to undertake further study by taking an MPhil or PhD research degree.
Excellent placement opportunities
After Year Two, you have the opportunity to undertake a one years’ work placement in industry, including overseas options. This will give you the chance to gain vital experience and put your knowledge into practice.
You will be assessed throughout the year and will be required to write a reflective report and diary. On completion of a successful placement, you will be eligible to receive an additional award – the Placement Diploma in Professional Practice,an excellent addition to your CV.
Recent placements include:
- National Institute for Medical Research
- Veterinary Laboratories Agency
- Health Protection Agency.
You will be actively encouraged and supported by our dedicated placement team who will help you find and apply for positions that will benefit your study. They will also provide support while you are in your place of work, whether that is at home or abroad.