Opis tego kierunku w języku polskim znajdziesz tutaj:
This modular microbiology degree gives a sound foundation to the study of Microbiology and allows students to specialise in their chosen field of interest with an emphasis on microbes and the diseases they cause. This is a highly applied course in which practical work plays a major role.
This course provides an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the fascinating world of bacteria and viruses, paying attention to microbes of medical importance.
Why choose this course?
- We are very proud to be in the Top 20 university in the UK for Bioscience (Guardian University League Table 2019).
- NTU is in the top 20 universities in the UK for biological science – The Times and Sunday Times University Guide 2019.
- You will be taught by internationally renowned experts.
- Third in the UK for Bioscience students on year-long work placements (HESA 2017/18).
- Your course has a strong emphasis on practical, hands-on learning, much of which will be carried out in a newly developed high-tech laboratory environment.
- You will be introduced to the micro-organisms associated with global health issues such as HIV, TB and influenza.
- You’ll then build on this to understand how infections spread and their significance to the global population.
- You will examine how bacteria and viruses function, how they cause diseases, how the body reacts to infections and how bacteria and viruses can be positively applied in food and healthcare.
- Focusing on microbial diagnostics you will explore the use of molecular biology and bioinformatics in microbial forensic investigations.
You’ll be encouraged to take a year-long, paid work placement in your third year, which will enhance your career prospects by giving you valuable vocational experience. In your final year, you’ll have the opportunity to conduct a major research project in a specialist field you enjoy.
Careers and employability
NTU has an excellent graduate employment record. 100% of our full-time BSc(H) Microbiology graduates are employed or engaged in further study six months after leaving (latest DLHE Survey Undergraduate results 2011/12).
With a degree in Microbiology you will be equipped to be competitive for any bioscience related job role. Our strong emphasis on research led teaching will also put you in good stead for a continued progression into postgraduate study and doctoral training.
You have the option to go on to:
- postgraduate study, or employment research and development
- management and technical sales in the bioscience sector
- technical positions in the food and beverage industry and environmental sector.
Recent graduates have secured jobs at Diageo alcoholic beverages, Northern Foods and the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute.
Typical job roles include:
- biomedical sales
- food microbiologist
- genome sequencing
- microbiology technician
- trainee biomedical scientist posts.
Many graduates also choose to undertake further study on one of our Masters-level courses or MPhil and PhD research degrees.
Excellent placement opportunities
Great work placements can influence career choices and importantly, enhance employability. That’s why we continue to develop our links with industry and our students get some of the best opportunities around.
Placements are between Years Two and Three and are usually paid. On completion of a successful placement, you will be eligible to receive an additional award – the Placement Diploma in Professional Practice.
Our placement team will help you find a relevant UK or overseas placement. Recent placements include:
- National Institute for Medical Research
- Veterinary Laboratories Agency
- Health Protection Agency.
Your placement will be assessed by your visiting tutor and work-place supervisors. You will be asked to keep a diary, and write a placement report. On return you give a presentation on your work to your tutors and fellow students.
Our students often gain additional qualifications from their place of work – all excellent additions to your CV.
You will be actively encourage and supported by our dedicated placement team who will help you find and apply for positions that will benefit your study. They will also provide support while you are in your place or work, whether that is home or abroad.