On our new Modern Languages, Translation and Interpreting degree with a year abroad, you can explore two languages, along with translation and interpreting, opening doors to exciting potential careers around the world.
As well as developing your language skills in French, German, Italian, Mandarin-Chinese and Spanish, you will gain knowledge and practical skills to prepare you for a career in translation or interpreting.
You will also spend a year abroad, studying in one of our partner institutions with excellent translation and interpretation programmes – an exciting and valuable opportunity, which will further boost your student experience and your employment prospects.
WHY MODERN LANGUAGES, TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING AT SWANSEA?
Based on our stunning Singleton Park campus, in parkland overlooking Swansea Bay on the edge of the Gower Peninsula:
- You will be taught by research experts who specialize in translation and interpreting and also computer-assisted translation;
- You will have translation work experience, including lectures by industry professionals presenting translation project workflow and organization of the translation business, project management software, and job application procedures;
- You will have an academic mentor who will provide you with any support you may need.
YOUR MODERN LANGUAGES, TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING EXPERIENCE
If you are considering a career in translation or interpreting, this degree provides a foundation of the knowledge, skills and professional practice you will need.
You will have two working languages, usually taking one from beginner level. As you improve your competence in the languages, you will gain a deeper understanding of the cultures and societies where these languages are used.
You will explore concepts of translation and interpreting, translation theory, computer-assisted translation, translation project, terminology management and interpreting for business, health or law.
You will also study abroad for a year at a university offering excellent translation and interpreting programmes to further develop your language and translation techniques and boost your career prospects.
MODERN LANGUAGES, TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
91% of our graduates are employed or in further study within six months of graduating (DLHE 2015).
This degree can open doors to exciting career opportunities in the UK and internationally.
Our graduates have careers in:
- translation and interpreting
- journalism, media and public relations
- government, politics and humanitarian organisations
- business and commerce
- public services