A fundamental requirement of any successful organisation is to be able to manage its accounting and financial activities efficiently and effectively. This requirement has become more obvious in recent times as organisations have faced turbulent economic conditions, lending difficulties, risk management issues and the criticisms of governance.
Our MSc Finance and Accounting degree is designed to enable you to become a critical member of an organisation’s core management team. Your first semester develops a strong core knowledge of institutional, accounting and financial modelling frameworks. You’ll explore the operation of markets, their major participants and the regulatory environment, as well as building a firm understanding of corporate finance, basic accounting and financial analysis.
Overall, this course is designed to reflect on, the main issues in accounting and finance and aims to develop knowledge and understanding, using theoretical and empirical literature, case studies and interactive learning and teaching.
In your third semester, you’ll choose an experiential project. With the opportunity to use your skills in a real-world setting, you can choose from completing a consultancy experience project, an internship experience project, a business research project or a global experience project.
Our Finance and Accounting course has been created in collaboration with the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). The modules are aligned with the institution’s own qualifications, which you can work towards upon completion of your degree. The Chartered Financial Analyst credential is held by over 150,000 professionals around the world. The charter gives a strong understanding of advanced investment analysis and real-world portfolio management skills.
As we are one of the preferred partners for the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) this course allows our students a quicker route to the CIMA Professional Qualification and the global professional designation of Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA).The CIMA Professional Qualification is recognised worldwide as the most relevant global finance qualification for a career in business.
Our MSc Finance and Accounting course is accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). Upon completion of the course you will receive four exemptions for the ACCA qualification.
What you’ll gain from this degree?
– an understanding of traditional and current theoretical principles, models and frameworks of strategic accounting and strategic financial management.
– an ability to apply knowledge, tools and techniques to resolve issues in new and diverse situations within the accounting discipline.
– a critical approach in evaluating the rigour and validity of published research and assessing its relevance to the practice of accounting.
– developmental skills to demonstrate an aptitude for independent critical thought and rational inquiry.
– an understanding of the wider social, environmental and economic sustainability issues and their interrelationships which may be impacted by or have an impact on organisational activities.
Careers and employability
At Nottingham Business School, we’re focused on your employability from the start of your postgraduate degree. We provide you with a learning experience that integrates theory and practice.
Graduates from this course have gone onto roles within the public, private and third sector, undertaking positions such as:
– head of anti-money laundering
– fund accountant
– financial controller
– investment portfolio manager