Designed for professionals aspiring to technical leadership positions within structural engineering design practice, our MSc Structural Engineering with Materials course focuses on applying engineering principles in advanced materials behaviour and technical themes, within structural engineering.
Who is this course designed for?
This course is suitable for professionals working in construction-related industries, who aspire to senior technical or management positions. Additionally, it’s suitable for BSc (Hons) and BEng (Hons) undergraduate students in related subject areas, looking to progress to study a technical postgraduate programme. The skills and knowledge gained on this course opens up opportunities for application to senior technical and middle/senior management positions.
Why study this course?
– This degree is accredited, under license from the Engineering Council, by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM), which represents the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), the Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE) and the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT).
– These accreditations mean the course represents the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired a partial CEng accredited undergraduate first degree.
– Our flexible study options support part-time learners, who wish to balance employment with further study. Significant academic support and guidance is in place to help students returning to study after extended periods in employment, and students who are pursuing high-level study for the first time.
– Benefit from our industry-standard facilities in our Maudslay building, right in the heart of Nottingham’s city centre. You’ll have hands-on access to our workshops and laboratories, supported by our team of expert technicians, enabling you to test, learn and research for yourself. Some modules include laboratory investigations and computer applications as part of the delivery method.
– Benefit from our team of expert academic staff who have established links to industry and significant experience of working in practice. Most staff teaching on the course are members of one or more professional institutions relating to civil engineering, and participate in industrial activities, consultancy and research, ensuring our course content allies with current industry practice.
– Hear from visiting industry and academic experts, some of whom are NTU alumni, who will be teaching parts of the modules, providing a ‘real life’ perspective on the topics you will be studying. This input helps bind together both the theory and the practice of civil engineering and management. Some modules also include a field trip, designed to help develop your understanding of theory in practice.
– Benefit from our peer and lecturer support network, with social networking, peer-to-peer support sessions and a Course Committee encouraged each year. We aim to develop a strong course community with each intake of students, developing a sense of belonging and collective peer-to-peer support to help you achieve your potential and stay on-track.
Careers and employability
Mentoring and support
During your research project/dissertation, full-time students will be allocated an NTU supervisor, whilst part-time students will have the chance to be mentored by a nominated Employer Tutor alongside their NTU supervisor. This will probably be a line manager who will be willing to act as a mentor to you during the course, supporting you throughout the course and specifically during the Research Project/Dissertation module. The Employer Tutor will also be a point of contact, and represent your employer to discuss your progress.
This course is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators of the Engineering Council, satisfying the educational requirements necessary for advancement to Chartered Engineer status with the following professional bodies:- the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT) and the Institution of Highway Engineers (IHE), and will give you the opportunity to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to progress into a senior management role in civil engineering.
Students from this course will graduate with improved professional and technical skills to operate at senior positions in the construction industry. Although this course does not offer a formal placement, all our courses are vocationally focused and benefit from strong links with industry. Graduates have gone on to work for a wide range of national and international organisations in senior positions in both the consulting and contracting fields. Alternatively, some graduates have chosen to continue within the education sector and embarked on PhD studies.