Opis tego kierunku w języku polskim znajdziesz tu>>
This programme offers you the opportunity to focus on Spanish and Latin American Studies or Luso-Brazilian Studies, and learn Spanish to an advanced level. Applicants with near-native or native speaker level Portuguese are also welcome to study Portuguese at a higher level. Spain, Portugal and Latin America offer exciting possibilities for the study of literature, culture, history and society. Our interdisciplinary modules cover cultural aspects of Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American film, literature, visual culture, linguistics, history and history of art. Included in these is, for example, the study of world cities such as Barcelona, Lisbon, Mexico City and Rio de Janeiro. Leaders in their fields, our language experts, lecturers and researchers provide a unique environment for you to learn and share your experience.
The third year is normally spent at a partner institution in a Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking country to allow you to develop your language skills and your knowledge of the culture of the language-speaking area you are studying.
You can also apply for a three-year version of the programme without a year abroad, and you will normally also be able to transfer to this version of the programme during your first or second year of study if you decide you do not wish to study outside of the UK.
The programme is also available for part-time evening study over four years.
- Arts and humanities at Birkbeck are ranked fifth best in London, 18th in the UK and 87th globally in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject.
- Our Department of Cultures and Languages brings together research and teaching in French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish, and institutionalises long-standing links between these disciplines.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), Modern Languages and Linguistics achieved 100% for a research environment conducive to producing research of the highest quality, while 73% of our research was recognised as world-leading or internationally excellent.
- Birkbeck has a distinguished reputation for the quality of its research and teaching in the area of Iberian and Latin American Studies, ranking sixth nationally in 2013.
- You will have the opportunity to spend a year at a partner institution in a Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking country to allow you to develop your language skills and your knowledge of the culture.
- The School of Arts is an official partner of the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) in London. Opportunities for students have included a year’s free membership of the ICA, private views, discounts on all talks and events, free members’ screenings and £3 cinema tickets on Tuesdays, up to 25% off ICA Artists’ Editions and a monthly e-newsletter.