This course develops hands-on practical skills as well as academic rigour. During the first year, you’ll be introduced to sport and exercise related psychology, physiology, anatomy, coaching and motor skills. You’ll also be encouraged and supported to obtain National Governing Body Coaching Awards, opening up great opportunities when you graduate.
This course is subject to approval.
- This course has 100% Overall Satisfactionaccording to the National Student Survey 2018
- This course is endorsed by The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Provides students with the requisite skills and experience to work with sports people of all ages and at all levels
- The opportunity to apply to the Elite Bursary Scheme
- Our Sports Science courses were ranked 3rd overall in the UK in the 2018 UK Engagement Survey
- Developing your practical experiences in front of groups and individuals is an important component of this course, thus a significant part of it will be based in our multi-million pound sports facility at CitySpace, or with members of the sporting community
- 91% of our BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching students are in employment or further study within six months of graduating, according to DLHE 2015/16 (based on UK students)
- Our Sports Science courses were ranked 3rd in the UK for Assessment and Feedback, 3rd in the UK for Retention and Progression, and 3rd in the UK for Employability in the 2018 UK Engagement Survey
Our teaching methods are designed to develop both your knowledge and also skills that enhance employability. Methods include small group work, practical activities, workshops, lectures, tutorials, computer-based learning, presentations and independent learning.
There are also on-going assessments for feedback and consolidating your learning. Assessment methods include essays, reports, practical work and presentations.
You can also choose modules which can result in PD:Approval accredited Personal Trainer and Exercise Referral awards at no additional cost.
Potential employers for graduates of this course include national sports associations, sports and leisure companies, recreation services, local authorities, health bodies including the NHS, schools and colleges.
During the course, you will be encouraged and supported to obtain National Governing Body Coaching Awards to support future development in the area. This will allow you to develop the skills required to become an effective coach across a range of activities.
Sport and Exercise Sciences now has accreditation from PD: Approval, the national endorsement body for Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs), to award vocational qualifications (related to the health and fitness industry) to students who successfully complete specific modules.
|University level||Main module mapped to||Vocational qualifications|
|5||Exercise Testing and Prescription||Level 3 Personal Trainer|
|6||Exercise for Special Populations||Level 3 Exercise Referral Instructor|
Job roles include the following (some require further training):
- Sports coach/instructor
- Sports and exercise psychologist
- Fitness centre manager
- PE teacher