This course is an exciting new qualification for graduates and professionals interested in studying, researching, and teaching writing.
The focus of the course is on writing, rhetoric, and literacies research and on how this research informs the teaching of writing and writing development work. The course programme is based upon Coventry University’s international reputation in the teaching and researching of academic writing at its Centre for Academic Writing.
The course begins by teaching key pedagogies for supporting academic writing for both study and professional writing purposes.
It also provides grounding in the theories and practices of how to set up and manage a writing centre, programme, or initiative. The course then offers in-depth learning about how to support postgraduates, academics, and researchers in writing for publication in English, and about how to develop students’ writing in the disciplines. Importantly, you will also learn how to research academic writing.
Students in the final term of the MA will write a dissertation or portfolio based on an individually chosen research project, to inform their professional development.
Why choose this course?
- Innovative degree course (unique in Europe) exploring the fast-expanding field of Academic Writing Development
- Focuses on academic writing development for university students (undergraduate through doctoral level) and professional development in writing for publication
- Provides essential training in how to set up and manage a writing centre or writing programme
- Analyses the academic writing needs and practices of both native and non-native English speakers
- Teaches how to conduct research into Academic Writing (the MA course supports students in conducting an Academic Writing research project)
International experience opportunities
The course offers the opportunity to learn about and compare writing development theories and practices from around the world.
The course also introduces students to (and encourages them to participate in) national and international writing development conferences and professional organisations.