A good accountant is a valuable asset to practically all forms of business. Upon successful completion of this course, you could gain the skills to prove your value in a variety of sectors.
This course will interest you if:
- You are looking for a career path that requires monitoring and reporting on financial performance.
- Want to gain a solid foundation of knowledge and skills in accountancy within a business context.
- Understand the financial world.
Monitoring and reporting on financial performance, accountants provide vital information for the organisations and business they work for. They are responsible for making and advising on a range of financial decisions – from setting product prices or determining the feasibility of multimillion pound developments to assessing the pros and cons of potential mergers and acquisitions.
Accredited by the UK’s leading professional bodies, this course is designed with a future accountancy career in mind and benefits from the highest levels of student satisfaction – 100% overall three years running in the National Student Survey (NSS). As well as providing exemptions from the relevant professional qualifications, professional experience and skills development are embedded throughout. There are opportunities to hear from current practitioners, take part in trade games and gain hands-on experience of key computerised accounting information systems like SAGE and SAP.
The Accountancy course offers an insight into the financial world. By studying this course you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop your skills in our Trading Floor, which features 42 dual screen Bloomberg terminals – we are also currently a Bloomberg Experiential Learning partner, which recognises our commitment to integrating our terminals into our courses.
- Learn in a Business School that was ranked ‘excellent’ in 2020 by Eduniversal, an annual ranking of business schools in over 150 countries.
- Have the opportunity to select from a range of optional modules in your final year, allowing you to tailor your studies to a particular area of interest.
- Gain professional accreditation from some of the UK’s leading professional accounting bodies, whose representatives have visited our previous students in the past to speak about the professions and give advice and guidance on how to potentially secure a job (subject to availability). Please refer to the Accreditation and Professional Recognition and Exemptions section.
- A course that has a practical focus, preparing and analysing financial statements, as well as studying the impact of finance on real businesses through case studies of a diverse range of organisations, including easyJet, Ryanair, Apple and Ben & Jerry’s.
- Access to the university’s sigma centre, which provides maths and statistics support through drop-in sessions with experienced tutors.
With a focus on contemporary accounting and finance thought and practice, our degree aims to equip you with the personal and professional skills and knowledge for a career in the worlds of business, accounting and finance.
The ability to apply theory to practice, placing accounting and finance problems in a real-world context is a distinctive feature of this course. As well as simulation and practical exercises, such as preparing accounts or assessing financial investment options, you will be expected to apply theory to real-life scenarios that you might encounter on a day-to-day basis as a professional.
In the past, students have analysed the detail of corporate accounts from retailers such as Next plc and Marks and Spencer; they’ve also looked at the competencies and skills of Easyjet in comparison to its competitors to try to ascertain what has contributed to its financial success.
International experience opportunities
There are opportunities to take part in a number of overseas field trips, some of which have previously been subsidised by the University. In the past, our students have visited universities in China and Malaysia to study alongside students, see how finance is taught internationally, appreciate the issues in different countries and broaden their perspectives. Students have previously participated in tax conferences in Belgium and Holland, where they engaged with students from different countries of the European Union.
How you’ll be assessed
This course will be assessed using a variety of methods which will could vary depending upon the module. Assessment methods include formal examinations, coursework, test and essays, group work and presentations and posters.
The Coventry University Group assessment strategy ensures that our courses are fairly assessed and allows us to monitor student progression towards the achieving the intended learning outcomes. Assessments may include exams, individual assignments or group work elements.
On successful completion of your degree you should be well equipped to pursue a career in accountancy. Vital to the wellbeing of our economy, accountancy is the second largest UK industry with more than 1.25 million people employed across the finance sector.
The strong vocational element of the course and use of case studies aims to give you a good grounding in real business situations, while the exemptions from certain professional body examinations can help to fast-track your professional career.
There will also be opportunities to benefit from a wide range of desirable professional skills, including: team working; critical evaluation; self-directed learning; problem-solving; action planning and organising; written and oral communication; presentation; questioning and listening. The following personal qualities will also be addressed in each of the skills modules: achievement orientation; initiative and creativity; self-confidence; decisiveness; reflectiveness; adaptability and flexibility.
To complete your professional qualification, you will need to complete final exams and have three years of professional training and work experience. Alternatively, you may decide to continue your studies at postgraduate level to further enhance your employability. Here at Coventry, we offer the MSc Accounting and Financial Management.
Coventry University is committed to preparing you for your future career and giving you a competitive edge in the graduate job market. The University’s Careers and Employability team provide a wide range of support services to help you plan and prepare for your career.
Zobacz więcej na stronie uniwersytetu >>
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>