The degree course for you if you seek a career in accountancy or an accounting function in business, and offers the maximum ACCA exemptions available at undergraduate level.
Practise using the latest technology, then proceed to advanced study of financial and management accounting, taxation, financial management and auditing.
The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) awards exemptions from its F1 to F9 papers for those students successfully completing relevant units.
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Learn the technical expertise and professional skills and attributes needed to enter a career in accounting
- Study a specialist course with the emphasis on practice, supported by the latest technology and software packages
- Develop your interest in specialist areas, with the opportunity to progress to further study at Masters level
- Gain skills and knowledge to enter any branch of accounting, including financial accounting operations, management accounting, auditing, taxation or financial management; or general business management
- Explore contemporary issues in accounting through your supervised research dissertation – ensuring your knowledge is up to date
- Benefit from a course that offers the maximum ACCA exemptions at undergraduate level, or the flexibility to transfer to other areas of the Business Core Integrated Programme, should you wish
The demand for accountants continues to grow internationally, due to the strategically important role that accountants play in the growth and success of any business organisation. The purpose of this course is to provide you with a broad business education with a distinct focus on the core elements of accounting.
This specialist the course is geared towards those seeking to pursue a professional career in Accounting. It is structured to attract maximum exemptions from the professional accountancy bodies: the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), and Association of International Accountants (AIA); which is a significant step towards becoming a fully qualified accountant.
You will enjoy and benefit from the modern facilities of the University of Bedfordshire Business School and its innovative methods of teaching. In Year 1 you will study in our unique Business Pods alongside your students on other courses taught in the Business School giving you insight of the variety of business roles that exist, and to the relationship of the accounting role to these. You will undertake integrated project-based work where the role of accounting and accountants is set within the wider business context.
As you advance in your studies you will explore core elements of accounting in detail, through units on financial accounting, management accounting, auditing, taxation and financial management. In your final year you will investigate contemporary issues in accounting through a specialist project – ensuring your knowledge is up to date and that you have developed skills for lifelong learning.
Students completing the course will have the skills and the knowledge to enter any branch of accounting. This might include financial accounting operations, management accounting, auditing, taxation or financial management; or general business management in both the private and public sector.
Whilst the course curriculum is designed with further ACCA or AIA study in mind, the course will provide an excellent platform for any further professional study in the area of Accounting and Finance (for example the Chartered Insurance Institute will give exemption for students passing Financial Accounting and Taxation).
Although most of our graduates join an accounting firm or larger multinational companies to complete their professional studies, others use their expertise within the financial services sector or are involved in more general management roles. Students wishing to enter general business management will also find that an Accounting degree will enable them to understand much of the operations of business. This is a highly numerate and sought-after degree that will give you a competitive advantage.
The course also provides an excellent basis for further study on our MSc Accounting and Business Finance, or other Masters awards.