This accredited course is designed to give you an in-depth understanding of marketing communications tools and activities, the strategic side of marketing, and the creative side of advertising.
Modules such as Advertising and Promotion will teach you how to develop an integrated marketing campaign similar to those required by industry. You will also learn how to develop communication messages and undertake digital and traditional media planning.
You will also benefit from a strong academic and theoretical background through modules such as Brand Management, which aims to equip you with an understanding of the models and frameworks necessary to develop and grow brands in a variety of organisational contexts.
- DMU is a Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Accredited Study Centre and an Institute of Data & Marketing (IDM) Key Educational Partner, meaning you can earn exemptions from CIM and IDM professional qualifications in addition to your degree.
- Put your knowledge of business to the test with our Fox’s Lair initiative, which helps prepare you for the business world – you will generate a business plan in groups and present your idea to local entrepreneurs and business executives, with the chance of winning a financial investment to help set up your venture.
- Our DMU Works team offer support to help you gain the skills and qualities that today’s employers are looking for through placement opportunities with local, national and global companies. Past students have worked at Next, DHL, Pfizer, FedEx, Rolls-Royce and Walgreens Boots Alliance.
- With the support of our careers and employability team, our graduates have gone on to careers in globally renowned organisations. Recent successes include TJX Europe, Marks and Spencer, Ocado and Vodafone, with graduates landing roles such as digital community executive, strategist, product marketing coordinator and marketing executive.
- Enjoy an international experience linked to your studies with our DMU Global programme. In the current environment, we are offering virtual experiences, for example with our own campus in Dubai. Previous trips have also included New York, Copenhagen, Paris, Athens, India, Berlin and San Francisco. Online global learning opportunities are being sought for the 2022/23 academic year.
- This course covers a wide variety of modular content, such as Principles of Marketing, Advertising and Promotion, International Marketing, Campaign Planning, Social Media Marketing and E-Marketing.
Reasons to study Advertising and Marketing Communications at DMU:
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Accredited Study Centre and an Institute of Direct Marketing (IDM) Key Educational Partner
leading to significant exemptions from CIM and IDM professional qualifications (subject to module choice)
- Pitch a business idea to real-life entrepreneurs and win a great prize
through our annual Fox’s Lair competition for first year students
- Work on real projects with advertising and marketing communications agencies
such as creating advertising campaigns, and undertake a variety of innovative coursework and assessments to help you put your skills into practice
- Enjoy an international experience with #DMUglobal
trips have included New York, Belin, Copenhagen, Indore and Beijing
- Placement opportunities with local, national and global companies
including Canon, Experian, Virgin Holidays, Walt Disney, Nike and Telefonica (O2)
- 93% overall student satisfaction*
* Marketing and related subjects, National Student Survey 2017
- Our alumni are employed by leading brands in graduate jobs
such as Sales Executive at Toyota, Marketing Executive at Marks and Spencers, Graduate Trainee Commercial Marketer at EE and more
At DMU, we are committed to helping our graduates enhance their careers and personal development through further study.
#DMU Global High Flyers Award
The #DMUglobal High Flyers Award offers students a discount of up to £1,000 towards a #DMUglobal opportunity (subject to terms and conditions).
Vice-Chancellor’s Sports Scholarship
Find out more about the Vice-Chancellor’s Sports Scholarships worth up to £6,000.
Find out about available scholarships and country specific fee discounts for international students.
Structure and assessment
Teaching and assessment
You will be taught through a combination of lectures, tutorials, seminars, group work and self-directed study. Assessment is through coursework (presentations, essays and reports) and usually an exam or test, which is typically weighted as follows in your first year:
- Exam: 21%
- Coursework: 79%
These assessment weightings are indicative only. The exact weighting may vary depending on option modules chosen by students and teaching methods deployed by the academic member of staff each year. Indicative assessment weighting and assessment type per module are shown as part of the module information. Again these are based on the current academic session.
Teaching contact hours
This is a full-time course and in total you should be prepared to devote approximately 38 hours a week to your studies. In the first year, you will typically have up to 14 contact hours of teaching most weeks. Teaching is through a mix of lectures, tutorials, seminars and lab sessions and the breakdown of these activity types is shown in each module description.
Other: In addition each module provides a two hour surgery each week for individual consultation with the lecturer. You will also have timetabled meetings with your personal tutor and careers and/or subject meetings scheduled throughout the year.
Self-directed study: In order to prepare for, and assimilate, the work in lectures and seminars you will be expected to use our on-line resources, participate in flipped or virtual classroom discussions on our virtual learning environment (VLE) and engage in personal study and revision for approximately 25 hours per week.
Subsequent years follow a similar pattern, however, the contact time will vary depending on your subject mix and options chosen, and the teaching methods appropriate to the module. Further details are contained in each module description.
Facilities and features
Hugh Aston Building
You will be taught in the Hugh Aston Building, which was purpose-built at a cost of £35 million.
Facilities also include lecture theatres and classrooms with capacities ranging from 50 to 250 people, break-out spaces for group work, quiet study zones for individual work and a large number of high-spec IT labs, some of which are installed with professional software.
The main Kimberlin Library is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (other than in exceptional circumstances) and offers a huge range of online resources, all of which can be remotely accessed from anywhere you choose.
The library is run by dedicated staff who offer additional support to students, including help with academic writing, research strategies, literature searching and reference management and assistive technology, and mathematical skills for non-maths students. There is also a Just Ask service for help and advice, available via email or telephone.
The current home of De Montfort Students’ Union (DSU), Campus Centre, has been completely refurbished to create a state-of-the-art environment for DSU improving the student experience.
The new-look Campus Centre is the hub for student life, on the ground floor is a convenience store, a Subway and a Starbucks. There is also the DSU-owned charitable accommodation service Sulets and SUpplies, DSU’s shop, selling art supplies stationary and clothing, and offering printing and binding services.
Opportunities and careers
This is our innovative international experience programme which aims to enrich your studies and expand your cultural horizons – helping you to become a global graduate, equipped to meet the needs of employers across the world.
Through #DMUglobal, we offer a wide range of opportunities including on-campus and UK activities, overseas study, internships, faculty-led field trips and volunteering, as well as Erasmus+ and international exchanges.
Our #DMUglobal High Flyers Award offers students a discount of up to £1,000 towards a #DMUglobal opportunity (terms and conditions apply).
An optional paid placement year offers invaluable professional experience.
We can help you secure a placement through activities such as mock interviews and practice aptitude tests, and you will be assigned a personal tutor to support you throughout your placement.
We advertise posts in all locations in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, including some international posts.
Our students have taken placements with companies including Warner Bros, Volkswagen, Experian, Nike and Telefonica (O2).
This degree opens up career opportunities in communications agencies and marketing departments of client companies.
Typical job roles may include, developing creative advertising messages, creating digital strategy, generating branded content, project managing PR events, developing digital media plans for big brands, researching buying behaviour and new advertising concepts, or working on search engine optimisation.
Recent graduates have progressed to professional roles such as Digital Marketing Manager at Burberry, Account Manager at adam&eveDDB, Strategic Planner at Publicis and Xbox EMEA 3rd Party Marketing Manager at Microsoft.
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>