This programme focuses on detailed decisions about the design and construction of buildings and their immediate surroundings. Architectural Technology is concerned with new and existing buildings and examines how detail relates to the design concept. This field is also central to the communication of design decisions to members of the construction team and vital to ensuring that work is carried out in the correct manner.
Our course will help you evolve the knowledge and skills required in understanding, application, analysis, synthesis and evaluation relative to design, technology, management and practice. It will also help advance your architectural management proficiency by bringing together all aspects of the design process, from concept through to completion.
In addition, this degree examines design strategies to promote and encourage sustainability. You will explore methods of sustainability to inform architectural design, and develop an awareness of ecological footprints, materials and embodied energy along with processes of achieving sustainable design.
- Benefit from our 125-year history, which makes Leicester School of Architecture one of the most established schools of its kind in the UK.
- Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT), meaning that you can apply for associate membership of CIAT, with the opportunity to progress towards chartered membership (MCIAT).
- Accreditation from the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE) enables you to apply for graduate membership of CABE, with the opportunity to progress towards chartered membership (MCABE).
- Boost your career prospects with an optional industry placement year. Our students have benefited from working in roles such as Assistant Architecture Technologist at Isherwood McCann, a leading architectural company with expertise in large-scale logistics warehouse developments.
- Gain valuable international experience as part of your studies with our DMU Global programme. Previous trips have taken students overseas to work on live projects in Berlin in collaboration with Aedas, a leading international architecture and design practice.
- The award-winning Vijay Patel Building provides both the space and the facilities to foster creative thinking. You will also benefit from a range of industry-standard tools and simulation software, including Thermal Dynamic Simulation and Building Information Modelling.
- We provide core workshop materials at no cost, and give cash awards – £150, £200 and £300 in years one, two and three respectively – to support personal materials/printing costs*.
Structure and assessment
- Architectural Communication 1
- Building Performance and Technology 1
- Architectural Detailing
- Sustainable Building Principles
- Building Design 1
- Architectural Communication 2
- Building Technology 2
- Building Economics and Project Management
- Professional Practice for Sustainable Development
- Building Design 2
- Building Information Technology and Modelling
- Integrated Design Project
- Contract and Law
- Technological and Environmental Innovation
Facilities and features
Art and design facilities
DMU offers some of the finest facilities to support your studies. You will have access to studio spaces with CAD facilities and workshops offering a range of facilities from casting, metal working and woodworking to digital printing and water-jet cutting, printing and photography equipment. You will also benefit from building performance tools and resources in the Architecture and Design Resource Centre, our online learning space.
The main Kimberlin Library is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (other than in exceptional circumstances) and offers a huge range of online resources, all of which can be remotely accessed from anywhere you choose.
The library is run by dedicated staff who offer additional support to students, including help with academic writing, research strategies, literature searching and reference management and assistive technology, and mathematical skills for non-maths students. There is also a Just Ask service for help and advice, available via email or telephone.
Our comfortable and well-equipped study areas provide a range of environments to suit your needs.
Our Learning Zones and The Greenhouse provide flexible spaces, whether you are working as a group, practising a presentation or working quietly on your own.
They feature workstations with power supplies for laptops, plus bookable syndicate rooms with plasma screens, laptops and DVD facilities. Wi-Fi is available across all campus locations.
Opportunities and careers
Work placements are offered as part of this course and they are one of the best ways to boost your skills and experience while studying, as well as improving your chances of gaining a graduate level job and can often lead to an offer of employment for when you graduate.
We have numerous links with organisations both in the UK and internationally, and the placements team will help you find a placement to suit your and you interests and aspirations.
This is our innovative international experience programme which aims to enrich your studies and expand your cultural horizons – helping you to become a global graduate, equipped to meet the needs of employers across the world. Through #DMUglobal, we offer a wide range of opportunities including on-campus and UK activities, overseas study, internships, faculty-led field trips and volunteering, as well as Erasmus+ and international exchanges.
There are a wide range of careers open to you from working alongside design professionals in construction companies, architectural, building practices and component or material manufacturers.
You could also continue your studies at postgraduate level and progress to the Architecture and Sustainability MSc at DMU.
Zobacz więcej na stronie uniwersytetu >>
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>