Combining robotic systems with artificial intelligence to produce a new generation of workers and companions is no longer the stuff of science fiction – it’s science reality.
This British Computer Society accredited course brings together these two areas, and offers conceptual grounding in intelligent systems, and the chance to apply theoretical knowledge in a practical setting.
With access to humanoid robots, robotic arms, wheeled platforms and other hi-tech robotic equipment, you will develop the skills demanded by employers in this fast growing area
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Learn how artificial intelligence and robotics are playing vital roles in the world’s most advanced technological industries – from medicine to entertainment – and are found at the heart of much of today’s most innovative science
- Study on one of the few UK university courses that offers both areas of study together
- Develop a solid conceptual grounding and apply theoretical knowledge in a practical setting
- Gain the expertise you will need to target a number of industries, including advertising, engineering and computer science
- Explore the use of humanoid robots, robotic arms, wheeled platforms and other hi-tech robotic equipment
- Challenge your technical abilities by using the latest software to control robotic machines
- Benefit from the experience and knowledge of a highly committed team of teaching experts
Our curriculum gives you skills that are valuable for a career within the robotic industry in particular but is also relevant for a much wider range of applications such as autonomous and mechatronic systems.
The collaboration with industry will help you to understand real-world robotic applications and to recognise the knowledge, skills and abilities required. The research in the area of AI and robotics carried out in the Department presents cutting-edge techniques and the potential of robotics.
Along with all taught units, AI and robotics specialist units in Years 2 and 3 emphasise hands-on skills development.
The final year unit ‘Social and Professional Project Management’ requires you to work in a team to apply a current project management methodology that embraces all of these knowledge areas in an integrated way while going through the stages of planning, execution and project control.