Our course encompasses two distinct practical themes – concept art and comic art, both of which focus on fundamental, traditional art skills and contemporary digital techniques.
In concept art you will be helped to master a range of industry-focused tools and techniques for developing pre-production, production and post-production art for the film and video game industries. In comic art you will develop a practical understanding of idea generation, visual storytelling and visual communication.
These two themes mean you will access a wide range of creative possibilities and opportunities. They are underpinned by contextual studies to inform and enhance your practice through an exploration of the historical, cultural and social contexts of the wider world of print and web-based comic arts, graphic novels and visual communication.
The course features regular guest lectures and workshops, giving you an opportunity to experience first-hand what it takes to design successful content. Our studio culture encourages peer collaboration and networking with industry professionals to support you as you create your portfolio.
You will be able to develop skills in your own special interests and graduate as a skilled comic and concept artist, ready to work in a range of roles across the creative industries.
- Engage with learning and teaching through hands-on practical activity, supported by our expert academic team and vibrant studio culture.
- Benefit from special guest lectures to enhance your understanding of the industry and learn directly from film and game industry professionals.
- Produce your own portfolio to enhance your employability, by taking final-year modules in Personal Exploration and Professional Practice.
- Gain a valuable international experience as part of your studies with our DMU Global programme. Students from related courses have been inspired by urban architecture in New York and explored the cultural context of art in Berlin.
- Get one-to-one support to develop your drawing skills and meet like-minded creatives at the Leicester Media School Drawing Centre.
- Tools, Techniques and Processes 1
- Contextual Studies 1
- Studio Practice 1
- Tools, Techniques and Processes 2
- Contextual Studies 2
- Studio Practice 2
- Studio Practice: Personal Exploration
- Studio Practice: Professional Practice
Facilities and features
We have excellent specialist facilities that include a professional digital studio boasting Cintiqs for digital painting and industry-standard software such as Photoshop.
In addition to this, our digital studio cultivates your creativity with floor-to-ceiling whiteboard walls that allow you to sketch and doodle in large format with your cohort. But you won’t just be pushing pixels, next door you will have access to professional drawing board desks to allow you to realise your creations in traditional format, bringing your drawing skills to the next level. Our classrooms are equipped with a range of HD AV lecture equipment for experiencing lectures in crystal clarity.
Leicester Media School
You will have the opportunity to receive support from the Leicester Media School Drawing Centre, which provides extra-curricular support for developing artists and designers to have a creative forum and discourse.
More flexible ways to learn
We offer an equitable and inclusive approach to learning and teaching for all our students. Known as the Universal Design for Learning (UDL), our teaching approach has been recognised as sector leading. UDL means we offer a wide variety of support, facilities and technology to all students, including those with disabilities and specific learning differences.
Just one of the ways we do this is by using ‘DMU Replay’ – a technology providing all students with anytime access to audio and/or visual material of lectures. This means students can revise taught material in a way that suits them best, whether it’s replaying a recording of a class or adapting written material shared in class using specialist software.
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>