The BA (Hons) Film Production course is aimed at future film makers. You will gain practical hands on experience in making films and learn to understand the contextual setting you are working in.
- You will become part of a community of practitioners, making films as you would in the film and media industries, learning a range technical and craft skill as well as developing critical thinking and contextual understanding.
- A key focus is developing your technical, creative and professional skills in a variety of roles from location sound recording to camera work and post-production to directing and producing. You will become familiar with industry practices while collaborating on creative film projects, learning to work in an ethical and sustainable manner.
- You will have access to a range of digital film cameras, lighting, audio recording equipment and software, as well as the use of TV and Radio studios, to enable the production of high-quality films.
Why you study this course
The course is practice based, with aspects of critical media theory integrated into practical modules.
- We aim to develop curious mind-sets, asking ‘why?’ at every point: as students research, as they make both narrative and documentary films and as they reflect upon them.
- You will become part of a community of practitioners, making films as you will in the mode of the film and media industries, learning a range technical and craft skill as well as developing critical thinking and contextual understanding.
- A key focus of the course is developing your technical, creative and professional skills in a variety of roles: location sound recording, camera work, post-production editing and post-production sound design, directing and producing. You will become familiar with industry practices while collaborating on creative film projects, learning to work in an ethical and sustainable manner.
- The course is focused on the development of passionate, creative, entrepreneurial graduates who are confident collaborators and communicators with industry-led skills to maximise the opportunities for employment in a variety of roles in film production upon graduation.
- You will graduate with practical filmmaking experience, with a strong portfolio of work and the skills, knowledge and capabilities of not only working in today’s film and media industry, but also playing a part in shaping its future.
How you’ll learn
The course normally lasts three years when studied full-time and students have the option to extend the course by taking a sandwich year between the second and third years on placement or study abroad.
The course is delivered though project-based ‘hands-on’ learning, with a great emphasis on location work, live projects and practice activities, all with ongoing feedback. Your personal tutor will review and discuss your progress with you and will be available for advice throughout the course.
Our current excellent industry links enable us to host an exciting programme of guest speakers covering topics such as film production, scriptwriting, distribution and curation of moving images (subject to availability). You will also have the opportunity to take part in industry visits at home and abroad, where you will be able to develop your knowledge and skills through fieldwork and group projects.
This course will be assessed using a variety of methods which will could vary depending upon the module. Assessment methods include practical or project work, coursework, tests, essays and presentations/posters.
The Coventry University Group assessment strategy ensures that our courses are fairly assessed and allows us to monitor student progression towards the achieving the intended learning outcomes. Assessments may include exams, individual assignments or group work elements.
- Deploy the use of professional roles and collaborative working practices within film production and gain knowledge of different approaches across a range of global film production practices
- Apply key insights gained through your own production processes to support your own career development and professional networking within the sector
- Critically assess theoretical and contextual knowledge, including of a diverse range of screen-based texts and a wide range of historical and contemporary production and narrative techniques
- Engage with the work of local, national and international communities of practice to evaluate current and future industry trends in order to be informed by, and place your own work within, them
- Accurately deploy established and innovative techniques when using technical equipment and creative skills in various stages of film production
- Produce a highly creative portfolio of work within a contemporary global context that articulates their professional voice in an ethical and sustainable manner
International experience opportunities
You’ll have opportunities to take part in international trips where you will be able to develop your knowledge and skills through the production of individual and group media projects. Reviewed annually, recent field trips have included:
Cyprus, Hangzhou, Kenya, Los Angeles, New York, Norway, Paris, Prague, Sierra Leone and Tenerife. On all trips, you will be engaging in production projects, assisting on a local film production or making your own films using local crew (subject to availability, competitive application, meeting visa requirements and additional costs).
In May 2019 a group of Media Production students visited New York City to engage with the City culturally and sample a film festival in Montclair State. They spent the rest of the trip exploring one of the greatest cities in the world and learning what it means to be an international media maker.
Zobacz więcej na stronie uniwersytetu >>
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>