If you want to turn your interest and passion for image making, drawing and creative ideas into an exciting and fully formed professional creative career, then this course may be for you. It is currently designed and run by successful practicing illustrators, artists and designers who all share a common desire to push the boundaries of illustration.
Why you should study this course
This course encourages experimentation and play so you can develop your unique portfolio that reflects your ideal career in the arts. Our course focuses on four key areas of your growth: research, development, portfolio and professional practice.
This course aims to start with a programme of traditional and digital technology workshops. Here, you can learn transferable skills and how to use a wide range of tools to bring your ideas to life. You will also take a deeper look into illustration through practical and useful research and develop your professional portfolio. A series of business and marketing materials aim to guide you through the steps you’ll need to take after graduation to have a successful and sustained career in Illustration.
The course will guide you through a diverse range of practical projects. We use a contemporary and interdisciplinary teaching approach to the subject by engaging you in an array of materials, processes and technologies. These include, but are not limited to, traditional drawing skills, numerous printing methods, digital software, moving image and 3D sculptural work. The interconnection of multi-disciplinary activities makes this an ideal Illustration course if you want to develop your practice into other areas.
Employment opportunities in illustration are varied. Previous graduates have gone on to work in editorial illustration, fashion, advertising, comic books, theatre, TV and film production, children’s picture books, textile design, professional artists, arts management, curatorship, art direction, games art and animation, teaching and study at postgraduate level.
By studying this course you will benefit from:
- A unique cross-disciplinary course that gives you the opportunity to create a highly creative portfolio relevant to the most contemporary design both in the UK and internationally.
- Professional practice is a key component of the course with scope to undertake placements and live client briefs.
- An inter-disciplinary and flexible approach enabling you to individually develop your creative practice and portfolio towards a wide range of potential career paths.
- Opportunity to develop skills and experiment with a wide range of technology and traditional media.
- Opportunity to take a placement or study abroad year.
- Current teaching staff are industry experienced (practitioners) and/or research active (staff may be subject to change).
- Current staff have worked for a wide range of clients and on major arts-funded projects. They bring their considerable knowledge and experience of the industry into our teaching environment. They do this through their practical teaching activities and project work, which are core to the curriculum and helps to maintain the course contents’ currency and professional alignment. Staff maintain a continuous relationship with industry and have a significant and growing portfolio of collaborative and industry-focused projects that inspire student research, design and development activities (staff mat be subject to change).
How you’ll learn
In a typical teaching week, you will have approximately 13 ‘contact’ hours of teaching. This includes a combination of:
- medium group teaching: workshops, seminars and lectures
- small group teaching: seminar, critiques and tutorials
- studio practice and bookable workshop access
The contact hours may be made up of a combination of face-to-face teaching, individual and group tutorials, and online activities.
The School of Art and Design often provides opportunities to engage in external or collaborative activities such as competition/Industry briefs and speakers beyond your course studies. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of these opportunities to support your learning journey.
As an innovative and enterprising institution, the university may seek to utilise emerging technologies within the student experience. For all courses (whether on-campus, blended, or distance learning), the university may deliver certain contact hours and assessments via online technologies and methods.
This course will be assessed using a variety of methods which may vary depending upon the module concerned. Assessment methods include exams, practical coursework, essays/reports, presentations, individual assignments and/or group work elements.
This course is predominantly assessed by coursework.
On successful completion of this course, you will:
- Develop subject specific and scholarly understanding within a professional and historical context;
- Develop a studio learning culture that gives time and space to develop and encourages creative passion, collaboration, risk-taking and playfulness;
- Promote inclusivity and diversity throughout the curriculum, enabling students to effectively communicate their ideas through their idiosyncratic creative journey;
- Give students the opportunity to experiment with both traditional making techniques and contemporary technology as means to innovate within the field of illustration;
- Embed in students a philosophy of continued independent learning, critical reflection and fluid engagement in multi-disciplinary activities, resulting in the acquisition of valuable transferable skills;
- Produce a portfolio of professional work, with a confident understanding of the contextual framework it sits within;
- Engage students in a global community of practice;
- Equip students with the entrepreneurial skills to turn their passion into a sustainable career.
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>