Do you like the idea of developing innovative new products? If so, our long-established degree seeks to equip you with a broad range of skills to help you create all types of products, from wearable technology to sports footwear to luxury aircraft seating.
- 2D and 3D design: You will be introduced to 2D and 3D illustrative and communication techniques practiced throughout the international product design community.
- Product design for manufacture: We explore the principles and relationships involved in the selection of materials and processes for manufacture, and their influence on aesthetics, functionality and sustainability.
- Professional studies: You will be introduced to the nature of professional design-related employment and assisted in producing a formal portfolio of design work, professional CV, identity and online profile.
- 3D modelling: Develops your understanding of translating 2D ideas into 3D form, manipulating form to support visual brand language and the use of 3D CAD software to enable the forms you create to be manufactured using the latest digital technologies.
Why you should study this course
- Opportunity to practise form development using wax-based styling clay.
- High levels of student satisfaction for this course – 91% overall in the National Student Survey (NSS 2019)
- Links with universities in Europe, Asia, China, North and South America provide opportunities to study abroad and gain an international perspective (subject to application, availability, meeting any applicable visa requirements and additional costs)
- Specialist design studios feature presentation AV equipment, wi-fi, and supported by a dedicated print bureau and art shop
- Our extensive making facilities include laser cutting, rapid prototyping, CNC/robotic milling, 3D printing, 3D scanning, large workshops, spray painting facilities and dedicated styling clay workshops
- Computing suites offer industry standard modelling, rendering, graphics, animation and video-editing software including Rhino, Solidworks, Illustrator, InDesign and Alias. Visualisation is supported with software such as Photoshop and Keyshot
- Our regular speaker programme makes use of our extensive links with specialists and current practitioners – with past presentations from Ian McCallum (Jaguar Land Rover), Daniel Simon, Zoe Laughlin (Institute of Making), John Tree (Jasper Morrison) and Map Project Office
- This studio-based course will allow you to explore, create and develop the skills to design innovative products that deliver a rich experience to the user
- It gives you the opportunity to create innovative product design solutions in a range of styles and media, appropriate to the specific audience and purpose
- You will take account of critical factors such as usability, materials, sustainability, desirability, technological feasibility and professional constraints
- You will have access to our specialist facilities and guidance from our experienced practitioners.
How you’ll learn
In a typical teaching week, you will have approximately 13 ‘contact’ hours of teaching. This includes a combination of:
- medium group teaching: workshops , seminars and lectures
- small group teaching: seminar, critiques and tutorials
- studio practice and bookable workshop access.
The contact hours may be made up of a combination of face-to-face teaching, individual and group tutorials, and online activities.
The School of Art and Design gives you opportunities to engage in external or collaborative activities such as competition/Industry briefs and speakers beyond your course studies. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of these opportunities to support your learning journey.
As an innovative and enterprising university, we may seek to use emerging technologies to enhance your student experience. For all courses (whether on-campus, blended, or distance learning), the university may deliver certain contact hours and assessments via online technologies and methods.
The university may deliver certain contact hours and assessments via emerging online technologies and methods across all courses. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are prepared for courses due to start in or after the 2020/2021 academic year to be delivered in a variety of forms. The form of delivery will be determined in accordance with government and public health guidance. Whether on campus or online, our key priority is staff and student safety.
Due to the ongoing restrictions relating to COVID-19, some facilities (including some teaching and learning spaces) and some non-academic offerings (particularly in relation to international experiences), may vary from those advertised and may have reduced availability or restrictions on their use.
This course will be assessed using a variety of methods which could vary depending upon the module. Assessment methods include formal examinations, coursework, tests, essays, practical or project work, group work, presentations, posters etc.
On successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
- acquire and analyse contextual research and human insights to define and inform design opportunities
- generate and develop ideas, synthesise, test, evaluate and develop creative and appropriate solutions to a defined design opportunity
- optimise design solutions for commercially viable, ethical and environmentally sustainable manufacture
- evaluate and select techniques, tools and media to confidently visualise and communicate project outcomes
- demonstrate professional behaviours, attitudes and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively with resilience to changing local and global contexts
- develop curiosity and awareness of the wider context of product design and integrate into personal practice in order to enhance employability.
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>