Are you fascinated by the inner workings of the human mind and how this affects criminal behaviour? By studying Psychology in combination with Criminology, you’ll have the opportunity to explore why people break laws and how society deals with offenders.
Your Psychology with Criminology degree will comprise two-thirds psychology, with the other third in criminology. By studying two complementary subjects together, you’ll enhance your knowledge and skills to access a broader range of exciting career options.
The Psychology with Criminology degree is recognised by the British Psychological Society (BPS) for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership, which is the first step towards becoming a Chartered Psychologist. You’ll also be eligible to apply for specialist professional training, provided you achieve 2:2 Honours or higher, thus further expanding your knowledge of this fascinating field and enhancing your employability.
What you will study
The first two years of your Psychology with Criminology degree will be focused on coverage of psychology core areas as required by the British Psychological Society for accreditation.
You will take 80 credits of compulsory psychology modules in each of your first and second years as well as 40 credits in criminology. In your final year, you will take a compulsory 40 credit dissertation plus a 20 credit specified psychology module and a 20 credit specified criminology module alongside two optional modules, one in psychology and one in criminology.
Year One: Psychology with Criminology Degree
- Investigating Methods and Evidence in Psychology – 40 credits
- Perspectives in Psychology – 20 credits
- Critical Readings in Psychology – 20 credits
- Understanding Criminal Justice – 20 credits
- Understanding Crime, Victims and Society – 20 credits
Year Two: Psychology with Criminology Degree
- Using Methods in Psychology – 20 credits
- Professional Practice and Employability – 20 credits
- From Cells to Consciousness – 20 credits
- Lifespan Development and the Social Context – 20 credits
- Policing – 20 credits
- Penology: Prisons, Punishment and the Offender – 20 credits
Year Three: Psychology with Criminology Degree
- Advanced Research Methods: Dissertation – 40 credits
- Forensic Psychology – 20 credits
- Critical Issues in Criminal Investigations – 20 credits
Plus one option from the psychology options below:
- Health Psychology Across the Lifespan – 20 credits
- Psychological Disorders and Therapeutic Interventions – 20 credits
- Forensic Psychology – 20 credits
- Applications of Social Psychology – 20 credits
- Cognitive Neuropsychology and Neuroscience – 20 credits
- The Psychology of Education and Work – 20 credits
And one option from the list of criminology options below:
- Terrorism, Security and the War on Terror – 20 credits
- Understanding Homicide – 20 credits
- Contemporary issues in Youth Crime – 20 credits
The Psychology with Criminology degree is delivered through lectures, seminars, workshops, individual/small group supervision and independent study. You will also have the opportunity to attend guest lectures given by academic staff from other institutions and professional psychologists who work in different areas of practise.
You will also be given the opportunity to learn about psychology in new ways and no two modules are entirely the same in terms of delivery and assessment. You will complete coursework including essays, practical reports, oral presentations and case studies. There will also be some examination assessments (seen and unseen) and in-class tests.
You will complete a range of different class activities including group discussions, debates, case studies and in-class projects. In fact one of the most exciting things about this course is that you experience a great range of delivery and assessment methods.
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>