BSc Sound Design is for those with a fascination for sound and the creative use of audio technology. This degree programme provides a practical, theoretical and creative grounding in sound design and will appeal to those with a passion for sound.
During your time on this course you’ll learn all the skills you need, from sound design for moving image to recording and mixing techniques. Upon graduation you’ll be ready to kick start you career in the industry.
Why study this subject?
Do you have a fascination for sound and the creative use of audio technology?
With a degree in sound design you could be working in post-production, outside broadcast, tv and film production, live music events, or for an audio supplier or broadcaster such as Sky or the BBC.
A career in sound design would see you using your studio and music production skills as part of team to create appropriate audio to demonstrate atmosphere, tempo or overall effect.
What facilities can I use?
You’ll record and produce audio in our Sennheiser Sound Lab, fully equipped by our partners, Sennheiser.
Our studios are 5.1 surround sound equipped, with dedicated recording booths and live rooms, and with sound-to-picture capability throughout.
Further facilities include:
- Multiple further professional grade studios, recording areas, and edit suites
- Rooms tailored for post-sync recording such as Foley and ADR (dialogue replacement)
- Foley props store
- A huge array of studio mics, plus stereo and surround sound mic kits
- Extensive collection of audio plugins and processors, instruments, and Sound FX libraries
- Live sound venue and PA facilities, with Midas desks
- Outside Broadcast truck and facilities
- A fully equipped rehearsal space
- Extensive TV studios and performance spaces
- Location sound recording kits including the Sound Devices 664
- IT facilities equipped with multiple DAWs (Pro Tools, Ableton ,Logic), midi controllers, programming tools and other essential sound design software including Max MSP, Izotope RX and game engine and interactive sound tools such as Unity and Wwise.
What will I study?
The course covers all the relevant building blocks of sound design. In addition to core recording and mixing skills, you’ll also get to grips with areas such as audio programming and synthesis, game engines and audio middleware, field sound recording, experimental composition and digital instrument design, and spatial audio.
How will I be taught and assessed?
This course is offered as a four-year programme, including an initial Foundation Year. The Foundation Year will allow you to develop your academic study skills and build confidence in your abilities, identifying your own strengths and development needs for progression onto an undergraduate degree.
You’ll learn about technology and sound production, and audio principles, theories and practices, and be introduced to the sound and computing technologies used in audio studios and elsewhere. You’ll build on, and apply, these skills to more specific production areas as the course progresses, focussing on areas including live sound, audio drama, sounds for games and VR, and film sound design, before completing a specialist major research project in your final year.
Teaching on the course is highly practical and hands-on with a focus on real production work working within our industry standard studios and sound facilities. The staff on this course have a wealth of professional and academic experience, with many still working in industry.
Zobacz więcej na stronie uniwersytetu >>
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>